How to clean leaves & bottom of Pond?

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
This is my 1st Spring and my water is a bit murky but I know I have Leaves at the bottom of the pond and sticking to the Pump sometimes.
When the weather is nicer should I just go in and grab them by Hand or what is the best way to clean the Bottom of the Pond?

My Pond is 6 feet deep, around 8,000 galons total, what is the best way to do a partial Drain and Fill if I am on city water? Out of the Tap the clorine is too high, so I need to add some Chlorine reducer. With about 19 fish, I don't want to risk their health by having too much Chlorine, any suggestions?

Thank you,

Shane

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-05 at 6.28.14 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-05-05 at 6.28.14 PM.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 656

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can use a well filter also to clean water coming out of your hose
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52688]

Reaction score
sissy said:
swimming pool net to scoop them out ,the one with the extended handle
Little different view here ... have spent big money on nets and hate them all ... buy what you like for the net end, but when the pole bends/breaks, go to the hardware store and get a PAINTERS EXTENSION POLE and screw it onto the "net" ...

Reaction score
shanezam203 said:
Can I do a partial drain and refill, if so I am curious about the tap water. in the past it's been too high for Chlorine so I've needed tap water chlorine reduction. any advise on that with fish in but dirty water?
Not the best solution but when we need water in the outside pond(s), I dump the dechlorinator into the pond, and then turn on the garden hose on LOW, and SET A TIMER.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had the old filter off my well and even though I have a whole house filter I use the hand pump off my well now and just screw it onto my hose end with a charcoal filter in it and you can get them at tractor supply also .I saw them there for less than 12 dollars .

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
capewind said:
Little different view here ... have spent big money on nets and hate them all ... buy what you like for the net end, but when the pole bends/breaks, go to the hardware store and get a PAINTERS EXTENSION POLE and screw it onto the "net" ...
that's what I did, thanks.

I was able to remove a LOT of leaves + cleaned out the filter box. hope in a few weeks the water clears up, fish are doing fine it is just murky.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
as long as you run it slow and you use a charcoal filter .I know here we get a lot of iron in the water and it helps catch some of it but not much .But nothing gets rid of iron .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
We have an iron removal unit on our home water line; works very well, but not cheap! Does anyone know IF and FOR HOW LONG an activated charcoal filter removes chlorine from the water? Just curious! :dunno:
John

Ask a Question