How to create a 'lift' to remove/install filter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Forum!
I am a relatively new pond owner (June 2019) and loving it!

I'm looking for a lifting aparatus for my pond filter so I can more easily remove (fall) and install (spring) it. Attached are three images. First is an image showing the filter 'buried' in the ground. This shows the entire 'bucket' is underground and only the top of the filter is exposed (once I remove the rocks that hide it). The second photo shows my filter - Pondmaster ClearGuard Pressurized Filter CGUV5500 Item#05625. The filter measures 28.5"h x 17"w x 17"d.

The third photos shows an example of what I think will work - Lift All BS5 5 Gallon Bucket Sling. My needs would be resolved if this bucket sling was a bit larger. It fits 5 gallon buckets and clearly my filter bucket is 6-7" wider/deeper and 13-14" higher.

Any suggestions would be so welcome. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_5176.JPG
    IMG_5176.JPG
    268.3 KB · Views: 45
  • PondMaster ClearGuard Pressurized Filter_CGUV5500.jpg
    PondMaster ClearGuard Pressurized Filter_CGUV5500.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Lift-All-BS5_01.jpg
    Lift-All-BS5_01.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 48

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How about getting something like a sump pump vault that the filter will fit inside and buring that? I have used canister filters and just brought top assembly in in the winter. You can cover the canister so rain, snow won't get in.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi mrsclem!
I will look into that. After I posted my message on this forum, someone told me that I could leave the filter in the hole all winter. I simply have to remove all filter media, drain ALL of the water out, put the lid back on, then turn the valve selector to #7 (winterize). I've reached out to the manufacturer to make sure this is correct. You suggestion of a sump pump vault may be good for some additional insurance. I did not know these existed. Thank you so much for responding!

Reaction score
Country
United States
UPDATE: I just heard from Danner Mfg, who makes the Pondmaster ClearGuard Filter. Here's what they told me:

Yes, take all the water out and remove the UV ballast/bulb/sleeve, per the Winterization information on page 9 of the manual (attached). Here is the excerpt, below:
WINTERIZATION
CAUTION: During harsh winters, water left in the drum may freeze, expand and crack the
drum. If necessary, the filter can be drained and winterized at the end of the season. If you
live in an area that doesn't experience freezing temperatures, you may never need to do this.
To empty the water from the filter drum, it is not necessary to open the filter.
1) Turn off the pump and disconnect the power source to the UV.
2) Turn the Valve to position#7 WINTER.
3) Remove the drain plug at the bottom of the filter to empty the filter from the bottom.
Note that the drain plug adapter has a½" NPT female thread for attachment to½" NPT male
fittings. If you want to attach a hose to the bottom drain, you can purchase a½" NPT fitting
to connect to the bottom drain adapter and to a hose.½"NPT fitting are available at
hardware stores or irrigation supply centers
4) If your set-up includes a UV Clarifier, rotate the lock ring counter clockwise to remove it.
Pull the socket cap/light unit assembly straight up, being careful not to break the UV lamp.
Disconnect lamp from socket by grasping the plastic base of the lamp and carefully pulling it
straight apart from the socket cap. Remove the quartz sleeve from the filter cover by pulling
straight upwards. Pack the quartz sleeve and UV lamp carefully and store it with the O-ring
and socket cap/ ballast for winter. Cover the open UV port with the clear extra UV port cap
that was placed in storage. DO NOT ALLOW WATER TO GET INTO UV QUARTZ SLEEVE AND
FREEZE. IT WILL CRACKWHEN WATER FREEZES.

I'm a little embarrassed that I missed this in the manual - and I AM someone who reads them. Perhaps this will help someone else in the future. Thank you!

Ask a Question