How to cure Leaks?

BML

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My pond is about six feet wide, twenty feet long and about four feet deep but I know that its slowly losing water because I can see it slipping down the side of a pond statute. My intention is to pump out sufficient water until it is losing no more water measured by the statute and then see if there is something or other that I can use to coat the exposed surface but I have no idea what that is which is why I have posted this. So, any suggestions are welcome.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Every situation will be different. Please post some pics for us, especially of the statue and surrounding area.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I would simply let the water drain until it stops, that will give you the level of the leak. As said by Mmathis, more information would be helpful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What’s your liner material? And where are you located? Are you certain it’s not evaporation?

BML

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With respect, I asked a simple question, "if there is something or other that I can use to coat the exposed surface". Obviously a pond has to have a liner, I have said that I will remove sufficient water within that liner until it loses no more, my location is irrelevant. If no-one has an answer to my question just forget it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I asked a simple question
...that is too vague to answer.

Obviously a pond has to have a liner
Yeah, and the TYPE of liner kind of matters. If you asked your doctor why you're having morning sickness, they might want to know what sex you are, right?

Go get some epdm seam tape. Oh you have a clay liner? I guess that won't work. Okay, try hydraulic cement. Oh, you have a PVC liner, I guess that won't work?

I have said that I will remove sufficient water within that liner until it loses no more
And how are you going to know when you've achieved that?

my location is irrelevant
It isn't. We get people asking the same question all the time only to find that their pond's style, location, and climate makes it more prone to evaporation and there's actually no leak.

If no-one has an answer to my question just forget it.
If you can't provide the details necessary to give you proper guidance, then yeah, let's forget it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Every situation will be different. Please post some pics for us, especially of the statue and surrounding area.
Well, I thought my answer was fairly helpful……. Especially about the statement, “Every situation will be different.” There is no ONE SOLUTION for fixing a leak….as every leak is different.”
With respect, I asked a simple question, "if there is something or other that I can use to coat the exposed surface". Obviously a pond has to have a liner, I have said that I will remove sufficient water within that liner until it loses no more, my location is irrelevant. If no-one has an answer to my question just forget it.

You mentioned something about “sealing a fountain.” But you don’t say anything about WHERE this water is coming from. Pictures of your “situation” would be sooooo helpful to us — since we can’t be there in person to see what’s going on. IS YOUR POND LEAKING, OR IS YOUR FOUNTAIN LEAKING?

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
If you just suggested that combatwombat is a troll then just no. He has been building one of the most impressive ponds on the site for more than a year, and has 1500 messages, if he is a troll then we should all aim to be trolls. Everybody here is doing their best to help eachother out. We cannot provide specific advice unless we know what the specific problem is.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you just suggested that combatwombat is a troll then just no. He has been building one of the most impressive ponds on the site for more than a year, and has 1500 messages, if he is a troll then we should all aim to be trolls. Everybody here is doing their best to help eachother out. We cannot provide specific advice unless we know what the specific problem is.
Very well said, young man!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I asked a simple question
Unfortunately there is no simple answer , weather it's a fiberglass, paint, rubber , polypropylene, concrete , clay . while @combatwombat CAN have his moment's HE WAS BEING NICE SAYING Theres no way to answer such a vague question....... each one of the products above the only commonality it identify the leak , and find the best solution to stop it with the procedure for that type of containment.

Every situation will be different SIMPLE WISE WORDS

if he is a troll then we should all aim to be trolls
Kids call me Ogar, no troll..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Obviously a pond has to have a liner
no......... about 10 percent who come here have a natural clay base / earthen pond .... they have there own steps to loosing water and clay or bentonite don't work for a rubber liner

Ask a Question