How to determine filtration

Reaction score
I have built one very small pond in the past that did not require much thought on filter system and now I am wanting to create a large pond and am having trouble determining how the filter system should be setup
Basically the pond is 68' feet long 14' feet wide and 4 - 5' deep I want it to be a Koi pond that is in Maryland so the ground and pond could freeze during the winter, would like to make sure I avoid that.

There are two waterfalls, one on each end and I want 4 fountains in the pond, I want to make sure that it is done right from the beginning before I even break ground.

I have attached an image of it mocked up in some landscaping software, I am looking for a list of what would work best

My first thought was
Skimmer -> Filter -> External Pump -> Waterfall Filter

But I don't even understand the specifics on this setup.

Also, does anybody recommend a good pond book that I could use that would help with a large pond?

pondsetup.png

Reaction score
I think the best source would be the web.

In general the flow through filters is removal of biggest stuff first, then smaller and smaller. By the time you get to the bio filtering you'd like as much of the fine stuff out so it doesn't settle on the media and kill the bacteria. And after that a UV filter so fine stuff doesn't block the light.

I'm not sure if this is to be a mud bottom pond or liner, but that choice would affect other choices.

Another thing that drives the mechanical choices is your goal for the pond. Like if you want to view the Koi then the waterfalls and fountains create a problem. Best viewing is a still surface. There are ways to have waterfalls and even fountains and keep the surface still if that's what you want. It's a bit tricky running waterfalls, filters and fountains off one pump. Not a lot of control.

Another thing that drives the mechanical choices is your goal for the number and size of Koi. That size pond can support a fair amount of Koi without any pump or filter, growers do it all the time. If you want a sea of color you could need a lot of filters.

I'd just start reading about Koi keeping in general. Once you understand the basics, and they aren't very hard, you can adapt that understanding to your pond. And of course what you've already learned with the smaller pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I saw an article in the last couple weeks (but of course now I can't find it) discussing the use of bog filtration for natural swimming pools. The general idea here was that they had the main pool area, then off to one side, or all the way around the edges, they had created a very deep bog area that was fully planted, and had pumps set up to pull the water down through the gravel before pushing it back into the main pool area. It seems to me this would be great for larger ponds, as it uses fairly low-volume pumps and would require very litte (if any) maintenance once the bog was established.

Try a google search for something like DIY natural swimming pools, you might get some ideas from there?

Reaction score
If you go overkill on your filtration you can get away with keeping more Koi in a given area with care taken as to not overfeed. You don't need a bottom drain,why take a chance in causing a tear in the liner. All extra money spent for nothing. Say you have a 1500g pond and you make your own filter out of a 55g plastic barrel. Well filled with teh correct media you should have enough filtration for 1500g of water with a load of say 4 full size adult koi. If you add a second barrel you could push that to 7 or 8 without a problem. Put ball valves on the bottom of the barrels and flush them monthly and add water to top off the pond. Everyone wants to sell you some high tech crap and honestly it's just that high tech crap. Aerate your water good, don't overfeed, add a little kosher salt at two tablespoons per 10 gallons of water once a month when you do a water change. Put some plants to take care of nitrates and you will grow nice fish. Old story, my dad got me involved with tropical fish many years ago and he used to take me to a shop that was filthy, each tank had a small box filter with some glasswool and charcoal that was probably changed twice a year. Long story short, this guy had the most beautiful and healthy fish I ever saw. I'm not saying everyone can get away with that. All I'm trying to point out is don't believe everything that all this added extra equipment is supposed to do. Kept it simple, learn to read your fish. You'll know when they are not happy.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice pond you are building! My pond froze, but only 8 inches of ice during last winter. So far with the aerator running, the ice is not forming except at the edges of the pond.

I filter with a bog/up flow gravel filter, keeps my pond in great shape, loaded with plants. It does take room though.

another-fish-welcome.gif

to the group!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
One suggestion I see right away, instead of fountains I would recommend bottom drains with areator stones built in the tops of them placed exactly where the fountains are now, This will give you a very pleasent look when they are on, will add oxygen, will help sweep the sides and bottom and help remove the droppings that settle on the bottom and the air can be shut off for viewing pleasure. Plus the cost would only be minimally more if any over running fountains. with that size pond and if your going as designed, Don't skimp on filters, Do plenty of home work and know what your wanting and planning to do before hand, your on the right track! It's one thing to filter a 1500 gallon pond with a basic filter and still maintain good water quality, it's a whole different ballgame filtering 35,000+ gallons and stocking 90 or more Koi, (Which by the way would be the same stocking rate as the above mentioned pond but I would highly recommend even with that size pond to reduce that stocking rate by at least 50%. suggestions I would recommend researching and checking out you tube to get more information on as far as filtering, bakki shower, Cetus seives, Moving bed filters, Koi showers, easy pods, Roter drum filtration, Vortex filtration, Bog filtration, Bead filters, Cermedia, feather rock, K-1, Matala filtering media, Bio-balls, and Filter pits and pump houses.. These are at the top of the list to start researching. Most of these can not only be purchased type filters but can also be DYI applications to save money, But don't under estimate how much filtration you need, It's always better to have to more than you think you need, than not enough!
BTW, nice design!

Ask a Question