How to differentiate a goldfish with dropsy vs. one actually carrying eggs

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
I just noticed one of my comets is bloated and has the pine cone belly going on. She's swimming around doesn't look like she's in distress or anything. Could this mean she's gonna lay some eggs? If so how many eggs do they lay and how many fry actually survive assuming one of my other 10 fish are a male. :) this is exciting lol

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Good question. I think if it has dropsy, the pine-coning would be over the entire fish, and the scales would pop out like a pine cone. I have a Ryukin that has occasional swim bladder issues, but even when she's bloated, her scales have never looked like pine cones. So based on that observation, I'd examine the fish to see if "she's" just bloated vs having actual pine-coning.

Reaction score
I'm sorry to say this, but if there's pineconing, it's dropsy. Any scales that don't lay perfectly flat indicate pineconing. There really isn't much difference in the bellies of females that are ready to lay eggs and those that aren't.

Can you post a picture? A top view is best.

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
I should have taken some earlier. So I just did a Google search on dropsy and now I'm depressed! The statistics are not good! But I'm glad that it's not contagious and will continue to monitor her and remove her if I see she is not doing well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I should have taken some earlier. So I just did a Google search on dropsy and now I'm depressed! The statistics are not good! But I'm glad that it's not contagious and will continue to monitor her and remove her if I see she is not doing well.

Dependant as to why your dropsy has developed is dependant if it contagious or not.
It can be very contagious in some cases sadly and not in others but any fish presenting in your pond or tank should be instantly removed .
Sadly the outcome of dropsy is death in most cases but you can win through however these fish almost always go down with it again a year or two down the line and die .

Dave

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Dave I agree, I've read that it is not contagious. Let one die in a pond and start decaying, Almost certain another will follow. What actually causes dropsy. There are more than one thing that can cause it and very little can be done once a fish has it. It forms from a build up of gasses usually formed from infection within the airbladder or intestinal tracts. Could be caused from bacteria, viral funus, and even bad food. Most of the time Dropsy attacks fish that aren't in the best water conditions at some point in time. Not necessarily though at that particular time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry about your sick fish. If she was holding eggs she would just be a little plumper than usual and the males would harass her by chasing her around hoping to pin her against something so they could push the eggs out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave I agree, I've read that it is not contagious. Let one die in a pond and start decaying, Almost certain another will follow. What actually causes dropsy. There are more than one thing that can cause it and very little can be done once a fish has it. It forms from a build up of gasses usually formed from infection within the airbladder or intestinal tracts. Could be caused from bacteria, viral funus, and even bad food. Most of the time Dropsy attacks fish that aren't in the best water conditions at some point in time. Not necessarily though at that particular time.
Normally Larkin if I can remember it correctly that is not in acctual fact true, as it can be caused by a number of conditions.
It can be bacterial or caused by ogan failure like the kindney stopping it functionng however in a worst case senario it is also viral and in this case a number of other fish may go down with it at the same time,
Thats the Bacterial and Viral dropsy taken care of my friend but there is however yet another form and that caused by a Parasite that attacks the fishes kidneys causing them to enlarge and because of this loosing their ability to function, in all cases of dropsy QTing your fish is the most sensible option
The simplest form of dropsy is simple fluid retention however salt can cause the fluid to be released and your fish go back to normal, normally you'll see your fish at the surface or close to areas of high oygenation they will nines out of ten stop eating.
Salt should be your first treatment at a level of around 10-13 lb per 220 gallons or one ton of water or for you metric minded folk 5-6 kg per 1,000 ltrs for a period of around five days longer if no improvement is seen
To this salt mix you can add an anti bacteria like acriflavin however you shouldnt be dis hearted if you loose a fish , its all down to when you first noticed it and got it into treatment , like I previously stated you can win through however this problem may occur , if however there is no change it would be advisable then to painlessly euthanize the fish in question
Studiovette I hope this helps in your understanding of dropsy and you win through with this fish

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have had two fish in my life that had dropsy. Isolate the fish in a tank and treat. Definitely salt treatment as per Dave 54. I was able to save one, but no the other. Usually needs to be caught early. Good luck and hope your comet feels better.

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
Here are some pics. Sorry not that great. Fish still acting normal and still eating

Attachments

• 1401706448109.jpg
    1401706448109.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 481
  • 1401706592629.jpg
    1401706592629.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 402

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
Some more. Gonna remove fish now

Attachments

• 1401707085387.jpg
    1401707085387.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 427
  • 1401707155450.jpg
    1401707155450.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 396
  • 1401707190919.jpg
    1401707190919.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 376
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
No I'm affraid your going to have to net this fish out for close up shots of it , has it got some sort of fungal infection around the nostrils or is that just somethiing on the surface of the pond studiovette , sorry but I cant zoom in on these photos :(

Dave;)

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
No I'm affraid your going to have to net this fish out for close up shots of it , has it got some sort of fungal infection around the nostrils or is that just somethiing on the surface of the pond studiovette , sorry but I cant zoom in on these photos :(

Dave;)

Yea a lot of junk falling from the trees last couple days. Let me see what I can do

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
Yeas so as of today the pine coning is all over where yesterday it was just a small area. So I can put the fish in a 10 gal tank. Should I run filtration? Heat air bubbler? Etc?

1401708148546.jpg

Attachments

• 1401707914495.jpg
    1401707914495.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:

Ask a Question