How to differentiate a goldfish with dropsy vs. one actually carrying eggs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
He never had pineconing before now am I correct in that yes and its spread since yesterday ?

Dave

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
He never had pineconing before now am I correct in that yes and its spread since yesterday ?

Dave
Very small spot yesterday which I thought were the eggs in her belly. Lol. But I never really got up close to really check. But in the pic above in the bucket you see very clearly

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Put him in a tank with filtration, then if you can bring the temperature of the tank upwards a degree at a time to around 25-27c .
Add your salt then its a waiting game I'm affraid your going to have to work out the amount of salt for your treatment tank yourself 3oz per gallon I can only give you as a guide line

Dave

Last edited:

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help!

Put him in a tank with filtration, then if you can bring the temperature of the tank upwards a degree at a time to around 25-27c .
Add your salt then its a waiting game I'm affraid your going to have to work out the amount of salt for your treatment tank yourself 3oz per gallon I can only give you as a guide line

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I'll warn you now in advance this will either kill or cure sadly thats the way it is with dropsy check on my salt guidelines prior to treating with one of our members who works in glass tanks our own QT Ffasility is 550 gallons imperial thus working in lb's of salt not ounces and my math isnt such as to convert for you I'm affraid :(

Dave

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
I'll warn you now in advance this will either kill or cure sadly thats the way it is with dropsy check on my salt guidelines prior to treating with one of our members who works in glass tanks our own QT Ffasility is 550 gallons imperial thus working in lb's of salt not ounces and my math isnt such as to convert for you I'm affraid :(

Dave

No problem I understand. I put him in tank and he seems comfy . I basically used the 3 oz per gal which I found posted somewhere else as well. Will see what happens. I was reading elsewhere to give him pee's as in the vegetable lol. Should I be feeding at all or perhaps skip the feeding today ?

Reaction score
I have used the following procedure on two dropsied fish, both of whom made a full recovery:

Please do not salt the hospital tank. Instead go to the drugstore and get some epsom salts (magnesium sulfate). Go to the pet store and get some Maracyn (NOT Maracyn 2)

Add 1/2 teaspoon of epsom to your 10 gallon tank. (After 8 days, give the fish a one-week break from the epsom.)

Add the Maracyn following the instructions on the package for dosage.

Order some Metro-Meds from goldfish connection. Use this as your only food for a minimum of two weeks or until the fish recovers.

I recommend doing a 100% water change daily for the first several days, adding the medication to the fresh water each day. The easiest way to do this is to set up 2 ten gallon tanks/tubs and move the fish daily.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I read the rave reviews given to this product with great interest and find it rather strange that he's recomending antibactetial medication when dont even know what form of dropsy your fish has.
No reviews are 100% like that some people must have lost fish on there where are they ?
What if its viral and where are the reviews from folks who tried it but sadly lost their fish, strangely silent on that isnt he .
I'll go wiith the epsomesalts as I've seen what it can do however the fish sadly died a year to the day almost after its treatnent with us .
As for your treating the fish with Maracyn thats up to the owner to decided as to which way he wants to go

Dave

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
Unfortunately my poor little fish didn't make it. :( Definitely a tuff experience to go through. But unfortunately we all go through this at one point or other with our pets.
Thanks for all your suggestions and help with this tuff experience.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Sorry to hear about your fish Studio. Sounds like you did what you could to try to save it.

Ask a Question