How to diy moving bed K1 filter with 55 gal drum

Tiger1

Tiger1
Reaction score
Does anyone have instructions on how to build moving bed filter w 55 drum. My idea is to pump over the top with a tee and create a Venturi down to the bottom of the barrel coming out of another tee. My overflow would be a pvc to the level I want the barrel to fill to, and 90* out of the bottom of the barrel to my pond. About 23 gallons of k1 media. Will this be a good filter? Will I need a mechanical filter before or after the moving bed barrel? Tested my Venturi, and it seems to boil water pretty good.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
There was an Australian website that showed a moving bed filter with a 55g drum. I've forgotten the name and I can't find it again. But I'm sure someone with post it in a moment as it was a link from someone here.

It will be a great filter. You will need a mech filter before it. I also remember that he said to fill it 80% full with K2, and to adjust to venturi so it won't boil so much. I'll probably remember it when I wake up.

Edit: Ha, I found it: http://www.earthangroup.com.au/diy-5-minute-kaldnes-bio-filter-for-your-fish-video/
I believe there are some other vids on the website.

Reaction score
This thread is a little old now, but...

Yes, this will be a very good filter - although it isn't actually a filter at all. It will be a "Bio-Converter" meaning that its function is to grow a bacteria colony on the Kaldness media. The bacteria (Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter) will convert ammonia to nitrites and nitrites to nitrates, respectively.

You will definitely need to prefilter the influent water with a mechanical filter system as any muck will hinder the bacteria colony and impede its function. A great filter system here would be a radial flow separator followed by a S.S. screen filter or nylon mesh sock filtration system where the "socks" can be removed easily and often for cleaning.

John was correct on the "boiling" action. You just want a nice gentle rolling action of the media. Too much action causes the healthy bacteria to be dislodged or "knocked off" the media. You only want to knock off the old, dead bacteria to allow plenty of room for the new, young bacteria.

When you add the NEW Kaldnes media, only add about 1/3 of the volume at a time (roughly I think) because the virgin media is highly bouyant and will just float on top of the water. Add a little more after the first batch of media has matured - so to speak. Once the bacteria colonies start habitating on the media the media becomes neutrally bouyant, meaning that it will float around in the water, not sink and not float on top.

That link to EarthanGroup is a great place to start on this research.

Catfishnut

Tiger1

Tiger1
Reaction score
I did go ahead and build a moving bed with a venturi. I have the pump filtered with several layers of pads and quilt batting. I just received my shipment of matala pads, four different colors. I'm about to replace with that. The venturi gives a gentle boil, so that worked out well. Still adding media a little at a time.

Reaction score
tiger, or anyone, can a picture be drawn of the venturi you refer to for making the media have a gentle boil? thanks

Ask a Question