How to extend season of sitting outdoors by the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here's a strange(?) pond related question to the group of creative masterminds! I spend as much time as possible outside by my pond, often sitting to work at our patio table. It has the usual shade umbrella, but when it rains I can't sit out there without getting splattered. I was trying to come up with a DIY method to extend my time outdoors. Maybe a pvc green house type structure? All experience and brainstorming ideas are welcome!!!

Photo as an example, but not exactly what I want. Thanks everyone!
1564779746565.png

Attachments

• 1564779738685.png
    1564779738685.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 107
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
There are members here that have built tent like structures over their ponds. I wouldn't know how to word a search for that. Hopefully those people will chime in.
But, yes, it's a great idea. As long as it's sturdy enough, especially if you're in an area where it snows.
I think that picture you put up is the way to go.
PVC pipe is cheap and with some imagination and strong enough clear plastic sheeting, you can get it done.
Some people use those temporary garage/carports, but that will block the sunlight.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Keep in mind, if you have frogs overwintering in your pond, you'll throw off their natural hibernation process and my guess is that they'd probably die, especially without their natural food sources being present.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Actually I meant for over my patio table (I call it my office), so I can sit out and be comfortable even on a misty day. I have netting for the pond and I want it to go through the normal seasons here.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We just have a fire pit just off our patio which abuts the pond and use that for warmth. We’ll be out there celebration solstice Dec. 21st snow or no snow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Actually I meant for over my patio table (I call it my office), so I can sit out and be comfortable even on a misty day. I have netting for the pond and I want it to go through the normal seasons here.
If it's not for the pond and just for you...
Time to get yourself a gazebo! Ours is great and we paid a little more for a door and full screening.
I wired in an outlet, switch and a little chandolier. All the comforts of home and no bugs.
You could always go cheaper and get one of those tent like screen houses. That's what we used before the gazebo.

Ask a Question