How to feed goldfish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have 3000 gallon pond with five 3-to-4" goldfish. I'm feeding them some standard store-bought mix, but never see them rise to the food when I toss it in. There are also some floating plants in the pond: can the fish be getting enough nutrition from the plant roots that dangle in the water that they don't need the store-bought stuff?

The fish are very energetic, chasing around the pond in a "herd".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I never feed my goldfish. I have anacharis and hornwort plus all the algae and critters I can't see for hem to feed off. I have several that are 4 years old and are 7-9 inch range. Started with 8 and last count was 40. To get them to the surface I would pull string algae from the stream and toss it in. The fish attack it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Good chance they're getting plenty to eat--your pond is so big they may not notice the food! If you have any water falls or running water, try tossing a few pieces into it. It will carry the smell much farther than it would normally travel!

They may also still be shy of you. Even fish I've had know me for months in a tank will be shy at first when moved to the pond. The change of scenery and seeing me from an overhead perspective puts them in a funk.

For the record, most pet store pellet foods are poor quality, stuffed with fillers. The best food will have some kind of animal meal or algae (spirulina, usually) as the first ingredients. Sinking pellets are preferable to floating. If you had fancy Goldfish I'd say sinking pellets are mandatory--but I don't think commons and comets have the swim bladder problems of their fancy counterparts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
They are chasing around in herd because they are spawning! ie the males are chasing the female(s). No wonder they are not thinking of food right now. Typically goldfish will eat eggs and fry so they may not be that interested in what you have to offer even if they are hungry. I usually buy a big tub of food several times a year from Drs Foster and Smith. It's considerably cheaper and probably better than a lot of food you see in a store. I have never used sinking pellets except for baby fish food. If you give them floating food they will over time learn to come to the surface when they see you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
if they are chasing one or 2 fish intensely then they are spawning , some times they dont eat alot in spawning season , second thing is ur pond is too big for 5 fishes , even 50 goldfish can live in ur pond without any food presented to them , alot algae and organisms to eat . u can some times give little white oat meal bread may b that is more visible they can come to eat ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I have learned over time to cut down feeding my fish a lot... I don't want spawning and I dislike green water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
There must be plenty to eat.

Come 6pm if I stick my hand in the water, a half dozen fish will be nibbling on it right away. They want their dinner!

Ask a Question