How to figure out pump size/type

Reaction score
Getting ready to build an above ground pond with landscape timbers for our 3 indian runner ducks. We'll build some type of skippy-esk filter to hopefully reduce how often I need to clean duck poop from the pond. It's an experiment... if it doesn't work, I'll have myself a nice pond to grow some water plants.

But how do I determine what I should use for a pump in the pond?
The pond should be about 18" deep, 12' long and 7' wide or close to that, so about 950 gallons.

Don't want the pump to suck down electricity, but beyond that, no clue what I need to look for. We are in southern AL, so it will be year round use.

And I'm all ears/eyes for suggestions on filter hints to help deal with duck poop too if you have some (if you don't know ducks, they poop. A lot!)

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Filter- BIG! DYI section! I would recommend a 1800gph-2500gph. this sounds a little high but your going to need to turn that water over as much as possible, 2-3 times per hour! Bottom drain HIGHLY recommended!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have to laugh, because I'm in a similar situation, except that my little "poppers" are box turtles! I never knew an animal SO small could be so messy! That's the reason I joined this forum: information on how to build a box turtle-friendly pond!

Good luck with your ducks. I just read another of your posts and think the birds sound like lots of fun!

Reaction score
I really dont think you necessarily need a huge pump for a duck pond. Why would you want to have a turnover time of 3x per hour? Its not like you are trying to keep ammonia to zero for your Koi.

What you will need is a huge biofilter and sufficient retention time in that filter. I honestly have no clue about sizing it, but from what I read, ducks are as bad as it gets, so go for something as big as you can. Rather than using the typical 55 gallon barrels, I would consider using one or more 1000 liter (~250 gallon) barrels, like this one:

IBC_1.jpg

You can find those cheaply, but filling that up with filter media could become pricey though, so be creative and find a source of cheap/free plastic stuff you could use in there.

Alternatively, or better, additionally, use a plant filter like a reed swamp (if thats the english word). If you have the room for that, its probably more economically viable way to keep the pond healthy

btw, If duck poo sinks ( I got no idea lol), then definitely a bottom drain. And even if not, its still a good idea.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used that container for my ariziona pond, it worked great! The metal made it real easy to stack rock and make it into a nice filter waterfall.

P1013612em.jpg

Reaction score
wow addy, that looks like a really, really nice.. what the french call "cache misère" (literally: something to hide misery). Got any bigger picture of that?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
vertigo72 said:
wow addy, that looks like a really, really nice.. what the french call "cache misère" (literally: something to hide misery). Got any bigger picture of that?

Here you go, I didn't think they were on this lappy...........

The waterfall is at the top of a 40 foot steam, the pond is towards the back of the yard.

Attachments

• waterfall.jpg
    waterfall.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 393
  • DSC00551.jpg
    DSC00551.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 340
  • DSC00567.jpg
    DSC00567.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 350
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So that being said, what is the normal turnover rate for a small pond? Not to hi-jack the post here, but looking for the same answer but for a smaller pond. There must be some magic number on what is a good acceptable refresh rate on your pond, correct?

For example, if you have a 200 gallon pond, and you have a 200 gph pump, that measures 1:1 ratio.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
once an hour turnover is the norm..but more can be good if you have the filter for it. you want the water to have some hangtime in the filter. a 100 gal stocktank filter is fine with 2500 gph thru it, where a 55 gal filter is a bit small. more circulation is good.plumbing and location is a factor as well, if you have a 1000 gal pond and a 1000 gph pump but 5' of head you might only get 600 gph to the filter....thats a loaded question...lots of variables.

Reaction score
pond at the moment - waiting for the silicone around the drain to cure before adding water
IMG_4280.jpg

Then tack the lining on the top rail of the pond and then start working on the filter box. Can't put the rebar in that until the pond liner is tacked in because of the way I built it, so that will likely be this weekend.

But the pond is ~950 gallons (probably less, but not tons) and the filter box will be ~70 gallons. Since it isn't done yet, I can still build it up more.

filter box before we put the rebar in around the pond yesterday and liner today.
P1030653.jpg

Reaction score
In the low end toward a corner. Not visible in the pic as it wasn't in there when I took it, but I installed it today in the lowest spot - which is a corner near the filter box.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
all Laguna pumps are good!...you know you should be drawing the water from the opposite end of pond from the filter

I did not know that - I can guess, but what is the reason for that.

Ask a Question