how to filter my 500g turtle/goldfish pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all!

I'm building my first garden pond this summer with an approximate dimension of 8'x4'x'2'. It will be a low budget build with a simple pump that will feed a waterfall for essential circulation. I am very familiar with filtration in the aquarium hobby but do not have much knowledge of pond filtration. I know that a simple and cheap way to filter a pond is by using a skimmer box. I want to allow the pond to filter itself as naturally as possible as I will plant it with native aquatic plants...I live in northeast Ohio and there are some good options to choose from.

Living in the pond will be my red eared slider turtle as well as some goldfish...so the bioload won't be too too crazy. What do you guys recommend for filtering the pond, especially mechanically, as I want there to be a way for debris and solid particles within the water to be removed? I don't want to have to spend more than $150-200 on a filter or skimmer box. Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks,
Sam

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
When you build your pond, build in a bog that feeds/is part of the waterfall feature. Then any other filtration becomes moot. I do have an Oase "swim skim" for a skimmer, and extra aeration.
My bog is pretty small compared to size of my pond, but water is allways crystal clear, and I don't have to do anything except thin the bog plants once in a while, and scoop out leaves, and pine cones that may fall into the pond.

Ask a Question