How to find a pond leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm new to ponding and I have a small 2 x 1 meter pond, it's about 60cm deep. There's a 3-in-1 filter, pump and fountain in it and 8 small goldfish. There is no external plumbing and it is made from a raised brick wall/bed and lined with pond liner - I didn't make it so I don't know if there is padding underneath.

About a month ago, the pond was full to the very top and almost overflowing, but it's now down to half that level and seemed to drop for no reason. It's never done this in previous years, although I have 2 small pots of pond plants in there now. It has settled at the halfway level, but does go down by about 1cm per day.

I can only assume that I have a leak, and the pond has always been covered I don't think it's been warm enough to loose much water through evaporation and not windy enough to blow the fountain water away.

Does this sound like a leak? Should I lose around 30cm of water in a cold month with little wind?

I'm going to top off the pond with treated tap water to see if it goes down as quickly again, then at least I can confirm the leak. Then, I'll leave it for as long as possible to see if the leak is somewhere on the side liner if the water level stays constant.

When should I worry about the fish if water levels keep dropping? There are 8 x 4-5 inch goldfish in there and they seem happy at the moment, but I wouldn't want the water to get much lower. I don't want to wait for the water to stop falling and for the fish to come to harm, although it drops quite slowly so I'm not in danger of missing anything.

If I can't find the leak, can I re-line the pond over the old liner? I have a lintel/sil around the top of the pond which sits on the liner and I can't easily remove this without causing lots of damage. Could I just re-line up to the top of the pond, but use adhesive to seal it around the top?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It could still evaporation from wind just blowing over the water .I would wait to see where the water level stops at because above that would be your leak if you have one .You could leave your old liner in as long as you slit it or you can cut it out .How old is your liner and what kind of liner is it ,pvc or epdm

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Allow your pond to lower to its permanent level. Logically the leak should be just above the water line. Remove anything covering the liner at the permanent level. If needed clean any grim from the exposed liner for better visibility. Use a piece of chalk to mark where you begin. You can then carefully search above the waterline for a puncture. Take your time, go around the entire pond. When you find the puncher draw a circle around the hole with the chalk. Buy a high quality patch kit made for your type of liner. You may have to drain you pond lower in order to perform a proper patch. Follow the kits instructions to the letter else the patch will not hold.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you all for the advice. I topped up the pond at night time and so far I haven't noticed much of a water drop. I'll refrain from any further top-ups and see how low it drops and mark it on the liner.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can lose one to two inches a day on dry windy days, also if it is cold and windy, sucks the water right out of the pond.
Like Meyer says see if it is a consistent level drop, or a off and on drop.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We will lose several inches here when sunny and windy and then the rains come and fills it for us.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, physics. Why didn't I think of that!

The pond hasn't moved at all now, so that rules out the leak I guess. What a relief.

Thank you all! :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If the water loss is at a consistent rate, it is a leak. If it varies from day to day it is likely evaporation.

This should be the motto of the GPF. It seems elementary once you recognize it, but knowing this one simple fact will calm the nerves of every new pond owner!

Ask a Question