How to fix bottom drain clogs

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hi Folks,

So I have a koi toilet 4inch in one of my ponds and I've got an algae clog. A bad one. Bad enough I can't run the pump. Prime it and it sucks the water from the basket and then nothing. I've never cleaned the bottom drain before but its only been up for a year. Does the top just unscrew off or is it held on by screws? Anything I need to take into account about the aerator?

What I'm more worried is where the clog is. If its not at the immediate end what's the best way to get it out? I've heard of using a wet dry vac on blow but my biggest concern is going from the 4inch pipe to the 1.5 pipe with a valve I'm afraid the algae clog is right there and I'm not sure pressure will solve it.

If anyone has any ideas I'm listening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Texmaster let me get this right you have a 4" bottom drain on your pond yes ?
Does the bottom drain go into a vortex style filter ?
If so I cannot understand how your bottom drain should clog if it's the same as my bottom drain all you do is purge first your vortex and then you bottom drain will drain into the vortex so to be purged again should you get detritus in the vortex from the second purge, if its the same 4" bottom drain as our own it shouldnt clog .
How often do you do you preform filter maintenance and partial water changes if you dont do it very often then I'm afraid that's down to you not the bottom drain .
We purge ours on a weekly basis normally twice is enough with both drained to drain by the vortex giving you clear water, this gives us the 40% water change which is done by use of a dechlorinator unit trickeled back into the pond so no need for a liquid orm of dechlorinator , we go right through the year with maintenance and dot stop in the winter again using the same trickle in method but allowing the ambient temperature of the pond water to warm it up so that there is no cold water , if done correctly then you will loose less than .1-2c
Can you show us a photo to see if it is the same as ours please?

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I've heard of using a wet dry vac on blow but my biggest concern is going from the 4inch pipe to the 1.5 pipe with a valve I'm afraid the algae clog is right there and I'm not sure pressure will solve it.
Can you describe your plumbing? Particularly this area where you fear a clog?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Can you describe your plumbing? Particularly this area where you fear a clog?

If its where I think it is its a 4 inch pipe running along the bottom of the pond from the bubbles to the right.

I've lowered the water for clearing

20140522_123434_zps550d3e79.jpg

Reaction score
So what happens when it gets to the edge of the pond? Particularly explain more about this section: " going from the 4 inch pipe to the 1.5 pipe with a valve."

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
So what happens when it gets to the edge of the pond? Particularly explain more about this section: " going from the 4 inch pipe to the 1.5 pipe with a valve."

I mean the pipe is reduced from 4 inches to 1.5 as it travels upward back to the pump with a backflow valve at the junction so I can't blow it out from the top..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm even more confused now Texmaster normally a bottom drain drains into a vortex style filter then on through a series of other filters until the pipe reduces to 2" to return via the pump to the pond.
What your describing seems to be bottom drain , reduced pipe then straight back into the pond , so where are your filters ?

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'm even more confused now Texmaster normally a bottom drain drains into a vortex style filter then on through a series of other filters until the pipe reduces to 2" to return via the pump to the pond.
What your describing seems to be bottom drain , reduced pipe then straight back into the pond , so where are your filters ?

Dave

up top.

IMG_20130520_170555_244_zpse1bad881.jpg

Reaction score
t my biggest concern is going from the 4inch pipe to the 1.5 pipe with a valve I'm afraid the algae clog is right there

If anyone has any ideas I'm listening.
My idea would be to redesign your plumbing system so the bottom drain gravity feeds into either a settling tank or sieve that is located before the pump.
Having your plumbing set up so a 4" bottom drain reduces down to a 1.5" line and straight to the pump is just asking for clogged pluming problems and defeats the whole advantage of having a bottom drain.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Can you open it up at the 4" to 1.5" reducer? Probably under the pond huh?
unfortunatly yes.

I did try to clear it with a sump pump with a flex pipe shoved into the bottom drain but had nothing to keep the water from coming back. I was surprised as far up I shoved that thing nothing came out on top.

Tomorrow I plan to use rags to shore up the drain around the flex pipe for the sump pump and try again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Ah now I see :)

Dave
yeah its not good. I put down a 4500 gph sump pump down the drain, covered with think towels to clog and force the water out up top. Nothing. Got a lot of dirty feedback and let it run for almost 5 minutes straight. I even decided to fire up the top pump for added incentive and nothing. I'm really at a loss now. Is there any danger with snaking pvc flex pipe?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
yeah its not good. I put down a 4500 gph sump pump down the drain, covered with think towels to clog and force the water out up top. Nothing. Got a lot of dirty feedback and let it run for almost 5 minutes straight. I even decided to fire up the top pump for added incentive and nothing. I'm really at a loss now. Is there any danger with snaking pvc flex pipe?
I've a feeling your going to have to strip everything down then get in there with some sort of plumbers unbocking wire like you do with blocked sinks , then do a rethink of your plumbing arragement that negates this problem so I think your in it for the long haul over this my friend sorry ;(

Dave;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've a feeling your going to have to strip everything down then get in there with some sort of plumbers unbocking wire like you do with blocked sinks , then do a rethink of your plumbing arragement that negates this problem so I think your in it for the long haul over this my friend sorry ;(

Dave;)
I'm hoping not but I bet you are right. I'm going to get the company that did the original install a year ago and have them clear then explain it.

Ask a Question