How to get flowers out of your lilipads

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hi Folks!

We have 2 ponds. One is 4.5 feet and 8x10 with lily pads about 3 feet down with fish. Always shaded with a shade sail.

The other is a 4x4x2 pond with lily pads also shaded with a sail shade flowing into another 4x4x2 pond where the fish are

The larger pond gets flowers. The smaller pond doesn't. We have tried replacing the dirt, fertilizer and nothing works. The larger pond, we don't touch the lily pads or change their dirt and they get flowers.

Is the size the issue? Is it the fact the fish are in the larger pond with the lily pads? Its driving nucking futs! :)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How much water flow do you have in the smaller pond? Lilies like calm water. Is your water filtered between the 2 smaller ponds? maybe the fish poo filtered out before its gets to the lilies. Just some ideas. Can you post pics of both setups?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The shade can be an issue, as can the variety of the plants. Some will tolerate more shade; others will only bloom in sunshine. Size of the pond won't matter - my lily blooms in my 60 gallon container pond.

Lilies are heavy feeders, so more fertilizer would be my suggestion. Are you dividing the tubers? If they overgrow the pot, blooming may stop as well.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine all get full sun, I have one pond with lilies in partial shade from a apple tree they do not bloom as well as the others.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Always shaded with a shade sail.

Generally speaking, most natural ponds have sun, at least during mid-day. Because of that, many aquatic plants are sun-loving. Sometimes, those plants will still grow in shadier situations, but won't produce flowers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The shade can be an issue, as can the variety of the plants. Some will tolerate more shade; others will only bloom in sunshine. Size of the pond won't matter - my lily blooms in my 60 gallon container pond.

Lilies are heavy feeders, so more fertilizer would be my suggestion. Are you dividing the tubers? If they overgrow the pot, blooming may stop as well.
I agree. Our lily flowered in a 50 gallon pond and overwintered in it (only 18 inches deep!) for 15 years. Now its in our 1800 gal pond and loves it. It is potbound and will need dividing next year but it blooms beautifully. Our kind has to have full sun for at least six hrs to bloom though.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just sent an email to Mother Nature asking the same question.
I have 8 lilies all in full sun and plenty of lils but no flowers.

Could or would lack of nutrients in water column be a factor why?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Let me know if you ever find out lol. My old pond was waaay smaller and got the fraction of sunlight yet bloomed all summer.

The last 5 years they’ve moved into a much bigger pond, been divided, fertilized and get full sun all day.....nothing.
5 years of this.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I ignore mine most of the year, they get fed (1/4 cup osmocote) in the fall groomed then ignored. Bloom like crazy.
Maybe you need to ignore them lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think lilies depend on way more fertilizer than anything fish can produce, so I doubt it's a lack of nutrients in the water @Shell-Fish .

Be like @addy1 - ignore them! (But notice by "ignore them" she means she feeds them once a year - that's key.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
....turning my back and sticking nose up to the lils. Report back if I see any small flower buds :p

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've just sent an email to Mother Nature asking the same question.
I have 8 lilies all in full sun and plenty of lils but no flowers.

Could or would lack of nutrients in water column be a factor why?
Have you tried putting in pond tabs? Used them for years. Now we have some fertilizer pellets made by our local pond store.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pond tabs? are these some sort of illegals drugs for plants? Never heard of pond tabs, maybe in UK called something different. If you have a pic of one or a link, I can check.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pond tabs? are these some sort of illegals drugs for plants? Never heard of pond tabs, maybe in UK called something different. If you have a pic of one or a link, I can check.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Ah now I see what you mean. Don't think these are available in the UK but possibly some alternatives that may do the same trick.

Possibly looking at these since seem straight forward.

Ask a Question