How to get rid of algae

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys. Last year I started a container pond and loved every bit of it. I’ve noticed over the winter it got a lot of algae. I have a few goldfish inside. Several pond plants too. What’s the best way to get rid of the algae? I’m totally fine removing the fish for a while if I need to treat the tank

Attachments

• 9E3B1CD4-9399-4D30-BED4-61C663513BB4.jpeg
    9E3B1CD4-9399-4D30-BED4-61C663513BB4.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 68
  • DEBCE3F8-101A-4106-826C-ABDBADE4A1D3.jpeg
    DEBCE3F8-101A-4106-826C-ABDBADE4A1D3.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 72
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
if it's string algae, once your plants get going and the weather warms, it should go away. Right now, you can use a toilet brush and swirl it up and compost it. If free floating algae, again, the plants need to thrive to out compete the algae. Algae on top can be skimmed using a pool net. Your water looks pretty good, though!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Lots of plants as Mmathis stated.

We all have algae in the Spring. It should go away as the plants wake up.

Basically, algae is a plant and nature has grown the algae to feed on the excess nutrients in the water. The excess nutrients are from the fish waste.
Once you have enough other plants to compete with the algae, the algae should go away.

I say "should" because there are other factors involved.
If your fish load is too great (overpopulation), and or your filtration is inadequate, you still might have a problem.

If you feed the fish too much and food is left uneaten, that will add to the excess nutrients also.

So, it's a delicate balance. The fish poop, which creates food for the plants and the plants help filter the nutrients out of the water.

You'll still need a filter of some type to take care of the solids. Beneficial bacteria grows in the filter media which helps break down the solids. That beneficial bacteria also has to "wake up" from a cold winter.

One of the things you'll discover about many aspects of ponding is you need to have patience and let nature do it's thing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
And remember - you don't really want ALL the algae to go away... a layer of algae on the underwater surfaces is actually critical to the health of your pond. It's a crucial component of the biofiltration in your pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
And remember - you don't really want ALL the algae to go away... a layer of algae on the underwater surfaces is actually critical to the health of your pond. It's a crucial component of the biofiltration in your pond.
Yep, and that's why it's not recommended to drain your pond and scrub the liner.
When read posts where the person says they drained and powerwashed their liner... I cringe.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Barley straw is one of those mythical things that people claim works to control algae, supposedly by releasing some kind of inhibiting chemical as it decays in the pond. I have no clue if it actually does inhibit algae, but I can guarantee you it will rot in your pond!

Go back again to the question - why do I have algae? That will be the path to reducing any overgrowth. But again - your goal is not an algae free pond. That would be called a "swimming pool".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Algae is part of the natural cycle. It's just a plant. Albeit a microscopic one. It does no harm, and keeps the water at a safe quality for the fish etc. Sure, it clouds up the pond, turning the water green for a while, but once the other plants start to take over, the algae will majicaly disappear. My swimming pond has gone green, but no worries, a week or two will have it clear as a bell, once the plants get going good. Then I'll have to vacuum the dead algae off the bottom. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Seaweed is not bad for a pond, if you are very worried about it, you can clean it. But the water does not look muddy, other plants will grow and the algae will partially disappear !

Ask a Question