How to get rid of tint in water

Reaction score
Country
United States
After 2 years, due to illness, cleaned out pond (15'x15'x4.5'). Water was green, and disgusting. Drained, cleaned out sludge, caught goldfish - even 1 year old babies, and put them in a kiddie pool. Got 2000 gal of spring water delivered, and got the DIY filters, trickle tower and a few other smaller pumps going. Water turned green, probably due to the hot weather. Purchased another filter with uv, and within a week, could see the bottom of the pond. Have some lilies and other plants that my daughter sent me. Put fish back in. DIY filters have batting in them, and need to be cleaned out every few days. Cannot do a bog filter right now. Water has a brown tint to it - figure it is dead algae. Besides the filters, is there anything I can add to help clear it up? Thank you

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What you're seeing is tannins from organic material. Activated charcoal may help, if you've managed to get rid of the source. Otherwise, if you're like me, you just accept it. The fish don't mind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
What you're seeing is tannins from organic material. Activated charcoal may help, if you've managed to get rid of the source. Otherwise, if you're like me, you just accept it. The fish don't mind.
What is the best method for deploying activated carbon? In a netted bag, or a filter bag, or maybe just adding it directly to the water?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've tried activated carbon in bags to try to get the tannins and their brown tint out of my water, but it didn't work. People here have said that you need to put it in a cannister filter rather than just letting water flow over it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I’ve read that the tint helps reduce algae growth, and when I add iron to my system the water is tinted for a while. I used a uv light last spring for a while and found that I needed to clean my prefilter almost daily to get rid of the dead algae. Once the pond cleared up and the plants took off I unplugged it and am back to rinsing it weekly.

Ask a Question