How to get tiles over a liner?! (Total newbie to ponds)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
vmAj7
https://imgur.com/a/vmAj7[/IMG]

Hi everyone!

I'm a total newbie to ponds.

I'm having an extension built on my house, and as part of this I'm having a pond with a walkway over it, built outside large patio doors. I'm attaching a picture to give you a rough idea of the sort of thing.

I've run into a bit of a problem. I was hoping to use porcelain tile as coping around the pond edge - this is what I'm using as flooring in the house, and it would tie the whole thing together. However, I don't want to see the pond liner. I was thinking of having the tiles protruding over the edge of the pond to hide it from view, but my builder says they will break and get ruined this way, and recommends only a very slight overhang.

I could run tiles down the sides, but how do I do this over a liner? How do they 'stick'?? And how can I be sure I won't break the liner?

Please help!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Best way to up load a photo is click upload a file, select the image you want and upload it. Hard to tell which image you are thinking of using for your pond on the pinterest link.

Welcome to our group!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You could have (built into the plan) some sort of cement/concrete block which would cantilever OVER the edge of your pond, THEN glue/cement the tiles you want to THAT, extending down into the water any amount you like (depending on tile dimensions, etc). For instance, if you're using 12" tile and use a 4" slab (a type of concrete block; 4x8x16")), you could have tile on top and extend up to 8" of the tile into your pond. Would make the 'submerged' part more prone to cracking should you hit it accidentally, though. I'd extend the tile portion an inch 'just below the waterline', knowing that will vary depending on evaporation. This would make the cantilever portion less prone to damage. This concrete block would then need only be 'pinned' to the surrounding structure that holds your liner/pond and I'd not have it cantilever more than 4" beyond your pond edge. Doing all this should get what you want.

Just an idea.
Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Michael

Last edited:

Ask a Question