How to Grow Green Water for Fry

Reaction score
1. Place 110 gallon black water trough in full sun that has some old string algae still on the insides
2. Add 50 gallons dechlorinated water
3. Add 25 gallons established pond water
4. Add another 15 gallons of water from various areas with standing water(Ditch,outside sump pump pit)
5. Add grass clippings
6. Add straw
7. Put in a few scoops of mud/dirt from areas that stand in water a lot
8. Add yeast
9. Grab a shovel full of compost
10. Put in pump for circulation

Wait a week for water to turn green and little critters to start growing.
1 week later. Clear water.
Add-
11. Throw in some more dirty water
12. Throw in a couple of "canary" fish and feed heavily
13. Throw in some "gunk" from the filter system
14. Add a little more water from standing areas
Wait another week.

Dip glass in to water and looks almost like the tap water coming out of my house faucet. Check under scope, nothing moving.
2 1/2 weeks and still going with clear water I would not hesitate to drink. I have created the perfect clear water filtration system using the yuckiest stuff I could come up with. I must seek a patent for this immediately. I know people who would pay big money to have clear water without having to do all the filtering.

Koi still have not spawned so I have already sent off for starts of daphnia and other various baby food. Will put it in to another container and see how long this one stays clean and clear.

Reaction score
It was the day after Memorial day last year. And it was warmer last year. So it still may be a week or 2 away. Skeletor and Ghost look like they are ready to bust. I even cheated this last weekend and did a 33% water change hoping to trigger them. Nope. They will spawn when they are darn well ready. And it will be the most inconvenient time for me.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol rsfish, you must post your build!, eveybody, well almost everybody wants crystal clear water.................

Reaction score
I think you have discovered a secret there lol. Perhaps the straw or grass is the magic ingredient that kills algae?
Either way, it should be easy. Use pond water, add fish food, put some stones or rocks in there. Then all you need is sun. And id definitely not pump the water around.

Reaction score
OK. I cheated. Bought a bag of Daphia last week. Water finally started to look like it was growing a little algae. Put some water under the microscope and actually saw some critters running around. With temps in the 90's this week it should help to pop the green water. I did not take a temp of the main pond, but when I got in yesterday to check a couple of things it was surprising cooler than I thought it would be.

Still waiting for the spawn to happen. I am guessing the next week or o as the water warms. Lots of fat momma to be's trudging around. I swear my Doitsu Lemon Hariwake has stretch marks.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My goldies and shubs sure have spawned, see all different sizes of fry, some really nice colored shubs and goldies. The fry is from so tiny you can hardly see them to approx an inch in size.

Good luck rsfish with your spawn.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's so cool addy. I can't wait to see all your new fish when they get big enough :confused:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was watching the small ones today, they are really colorful. Esp the shubs

Think I can snag some pictures if they stay still long enough

Reaction score
Please keep the snake. I would not mind it being around. But I have enough wildlife as it is.
And yes I figure the temps will be heating things up "So to speak". 4 of the females where cruising around last night in a pack. They come out of these spawns in good shape. I think there is enough to go around for the males so that no single female gets too beat up. Either that or they just slap the males around and make them act like gentlemen. LOL

But still anxiously waiting. Green water growing. Daphnia multiplying. 3 different types of Micro worms starting to grow in containers. 500 plus gallon baby tank running now for a month and a half with well seasoned pressure filter and 10' spray bar. Mops switched in and out and kept clean and fresh. Twice daily check for eggs. Brine shrimp eggs ready if needed.

Maybe I need to put out some candles this weekend, a little soft music in the background. Dump a couple bottles of cheap wine in.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
be prepared if there is rain in the forecast, I found last year that was a trigger to get them going, Be sure and do small water changes regularly as they do put of pheromones and if it is too high they may hold off reproducing. Doing water changes helps reduce the level in the pond sometimes triggering spawning, also pay close attention early in the morning and late in the evening as this is when most actually spawn.

Reaction score
Did another 15% or so water change last night. LOL No real rain chances for at least a week. Just upper 80's to around 90 and sunshine.
High doses of prednisone keeps my sleeping to around 4-5 hours a night. So I am always out sitting next to the pond around 3 in the morning until I have to get ready for work. Maybe that's the problem. Some "dirty old man" out watching them too much.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol rsfish, make it good wine and they will do the dirty! red works well..............

They may not be into voyeurism..............peek around the corner

Ask a Question