How to Grow Green Water for Fry

Reaction score
We have green water now!! Lots and lots of green water with all kinds of little critters in it. Love looking at it under a microscope. You can see the amount of edible delights multiplying day by day.

Now waiting for the spawn to happen. Trying to be patient. Small water change once a week. Bigger water change toward the weekend. A little higher water level, a little lower. Waiting until the weekend after this one to move some of them to a 600 gallon show pool and see if that forces them over the edge.

After that, I need to start showing some "Educational" movies on the fence at night for them.

Reaction score
Well I have been watching a couple of different forums when people report that their fish are spawning. Only much smaller ponds this far North have spawned. Others in Oklahoma, Virginia and such have recently spawned. I know the Crappie and Bluegills still are in spawning in the big lakes here. Tomorrow is another full moon and rain is expected. I always say it, you cannot control Mother Nature.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
mine spawned about a month and a half ago... i think. The fry are now around an inch plus, just saw little tiny ones again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I am still waiting, but my water is clearer for a longer period than ever before. I have several swollen females, hoping....

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Most everything I seen mentioned is great for inoculating the water.
Algae needs food. Maybe try some 100% pure ammonia or a lily tab or two.

When I was into fancy goldfish I used to keep two tanks in a window that grew green water but did not heat too much. I used them for hospital tanks. I am not sure what the magic was but it was a great healing environment. Perhaps the algae was keeping the nitrates lower then normal.

The Koi were chasing today but I expect the goldfish to get all the eggs.

Reaction score
Green water is doing great. Plenty to feed lots of baby koi. Oh yeah. The darn things still have not spawned.

I have given up on Mother Nature. So this weekend is my last try at forcing the spawn. Tonight my top 2 females and top 2 males are getting moved to the luxury suite. A 500 gallon luxury spa with water that has been running for 2 weeks but no traces of the water they are coming from. It comes with it's own deluxe pump and filtration system. A nice 8 foot loop trickle tower of water to set the mood. Additionally there will be 2 air stones providing and air stream from the bottom up to bathe them in light erotic bubbles. Fully stocked with wonderful long rooted water hyacinth. And it is located discreetly in the yard away from the rest of the fish for their privacy. And for their safety, it will have a see through net that they can gaze at the stars and hopefully help set the mood. (net will also be strapped around the pool with a special rope so they will bounce off of it and right back down in case they really get wild!)

Hopefully Monday I will be posting a new thread with the pictures of the proud parents and pictures of their eggs. Or I won't be if they just decide not this year. But it is my last best shot.

Ask a Question