How to hang things on trees without damage to the tree....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When we recently had trees removed and branches trimmed, we lost the ability to [easily] hang wind chimes and bird feeders. I want to re-hang everything, but I'm afraid of doing damage to the trees by nailing or screwing anything into the trunk to act as a hanging surface.

Do any of you know of some tree-friendly ways to attach rods [or something] to a tree trunk that would act like a faux branch so I can hear my wind chimes again? I love my wind chimes and bells!
image.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe some kind of stretchy strap thingy wrapped around the tree strong enough to hold an inserted horizontal bar, pole or fake limb. You could make it the same color to blend in w/tree trunk. You could even use a real cut limb somehow inserted into the strap. This would prolly have to be supported by another strap up higher to hold the pole from sagging downwards. Somehow you could make it decorative to hide all the evidence or fakeness. I'm just winging it here................can you tell? I tried to google but nothing came up but could be the way I worded it.

If you have limbs way up high you can hang way long permanent chains in different areas above and then hang the feeders and chimes to the ends of those but you have to be able to get up there to do all that.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Hard to explain ideas without pictures, but here goes... An upside-down "L" shaped bracket made of 2x2 lumber, with a 45-degree brace in the corner. A strap, possibly rubber, or an old belt, goes through the triangle behind the brace, and is fastened around the tree. The weight of the object suspended from the end of the arm pulls the strap down at an angle, tightening it to the tree trunk. Does that make sense? A nail driven through the upright member, near the bottom end, and protruding about half an inch, would prevent the entire thing slipping in the event of a strong wind. I'll try to set one up and get pictures, but please DON'T hold your breath!:(
John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
HaH waiting for pictures from Haro and his assistant is like waiting for ...................well I don't know what but it's a long wait...........take my word for it

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Some nice things to think about! I was able to read a little about putting nails or screws into a tree, and of course, there you risk an infection [do trees get "infections"?]. But this article also said that once you have placed [say] a screw in the trunk, you need to leave it there as removing it would cause more damage to the tree by leaving an open "wound." IOW, if you screwed a bracket onto a tree, when you're ready to remove the bracket, they suggest that you hack-saw the bracket off flush with the trunk rather than try to remove the screws with the bracket. Interesting!

We have several shepherd's hooks that Hubby managed to hang the other day, but that was with our tallest ladder and he was reaching up as high as he could -- those were the lowest branches available......

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hard to explain ideas without pictures, but here goes... An upside-down "L" shaped bracket made of 2x2 lumber, with a 45-degree brace in the corner. A strap, possibly rubber, or an old belt, goes through the triangle behind the brace, and is fastened around the tree. The weight of the object suspended from the end of the arm pulls the strap down at an angle, tightening it to the tree trunk. Does that make sense? A nail driven through the upright member, near the bottom end, and protruding about half an inch, would prevent the entire thing slipping in the event of a strong wind. I'll try to set one up and get pictures, but please DON'T hold your breath!:(
John
I'm holding my breath -- I need pictures!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Sorry. Tried to download a pic on another post last night, but the damn computer keeps freezing up! Just about ready to dynamite this thing! :mad:
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Maggie why not simply run ropes between each tree, then hang the chimes from them :cool:
The rope wont do damage to the tree and your chimes are free to tinkle again .where ever you wish to hang them be they just between the trees or over the pond or somewhere

Dave

Ask a Question