How to hide the pond liner using rocks on the outer edge

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just something I thought I would share. When I first built the pond I laid the liner on the ground and laid rocks on top. I found that it made it easy for stuff to wash in the pond plus I had a hard time hiding the liner between the rocks and the water line. A very smart person on another forum suggested I do this. Please don't mind my lack of drawing ability LOL. The pic on the left is how it did it to hide the liner, prevent run off, and allow me to add another 2-4 inches of water in the pond above grade. It has worked great! I was also able to reduce the amount of rocks in the water using this method. The pic on the right is the typical way and the way I initially did it to show the difference. Essentially you are creating a lip or bowl with the liner edge rather than laying it flat on the outside of the pond.

Just wanted to share this for any new pond builders.

Attachments

• pondliner good.jpg
    pondliner good.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 6,477
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've seen this and I did mine the way the pic is on the right. It is a little frustrating that I can't figure out a way to hide the liner above the water line. But I just couldn't figure out how to do it with my rock selection. I only had enough big rocks to go around the pond once, then I have smaller river rock filling in the gaps behind it creating a bigger border. Wish I could have figured out a way to pull the liner between the big and little rocks and still be able to hide it at the top! Of course changing it now would mean adjusting the skimmer, and surely my husband murduring me!

Great illustrations Pecan

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I used dirt on the outside rather than rocks in a lot of spot so I could plnt right up to the pond. 1 rock on the inside, dirt on the outside sloped away from the pond and small and big rocks or ground cover to cover up the top.

You can have your husband re-do it for you next year, he will have forgotten about it by then LOL ;)

Here is another pic showing how to do it with dirt, plants and smaller rocks.

Attachments

• pondliner good2.JPG
    pondliner good2.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 3,091

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
my pond edges are sort of like the drawing above. A ledge around 10-3 inches in the water, the liner goes up a dirt mound, higher than the surrounding land. Rocks stacked on the edge underwater, the next layer stacked on those with part laying on the land, then large ones on top of those. Plants in between.

The water is low in this picture, we were working on it. The rock wall is 3-4 feet high to hide the uphill slope of the pond.
Usually the white rocks are covered with water, no liner is seen.

DSC01537.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I did mine like addy's w/ the liner on the top level sloping downward over the mounded dirt w/ big rocks on top of that so no seepage back into the pond. The lower level of rock down in the water a few inches hides the liner well and fish like the crevices to nibble at.

IMG_1682.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We couldn't use mounded dirt, unless we went and bought some. The clay we dug out of the hole was just completely unworkable. I think if we do change it, it will be something for next summer. I may be able to try to pull the excess liner between the big rocks and the little ones like in Pecan's picture. I've also thought about just getting some of that rock on a roll and covering the exposed liner too. But I just want to get to a completed state with this now and reclaim my backyard, ad start enjoying it. I can do tweaks next summer when the work isn't so overwhelming!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep take your time and enjoy your pond Jen and do whatever you can whenever you feel like it. Don't make it a chore that you constantly feel you must do. Do it cuz you like to or you will burn out! I've seen that rock on a roll stuff and it looks pretty cool in pictures. Addy has used it I know and maybe some others.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol Jen that is why almost two years after the pond had water in it that I am now doing the little tweaks. I stepped back, enjoyed the pond, worked on planting plants, but have not really done anything to the pond except some necessary rearranging of some pipes.

I have rock on the roll sitting downstairs just waiting to be used, finally ready to do it.

Just now fixing the top pond, fixing some showing liner, tweaking a few things.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Great point J.W., plenty of time to enjoy your pond and make changes when you feel like it, Now sit back, put your feet up, pour a glass of wine and enjoy your beautiful pond :)

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Fabulous idea JW and Pecan. I look at my pond and see things that I want to do. But since my water has cleared and I can actually see all of my fish and the bottom of the pond I just want to sit and look at all we've done.... so far. Jen, you and your hubby need to enjoy it and do a little at a time. You've earned it and it looks great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yep, thanks! You're right. Now I just want to get my backyard cleaned up, the extra rock gone, get my furniture and firepit back where they go and watch everything grow! Any more big work will have to wait until I start getting bored again!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
How much extra rock ya got Jen and is it nice rock? Wonder if I can walk that far to pick it up,lol!
Seriously tho somebody might want it near you. You can put a free ad on Freecycle.org or Craigslist and it will make somebody really happy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You are probably right I just need to do it. I think I used about half of the cubic yard of #4 river rock we got. It's been in a pile on our patio so pretty clean. Then we have about a wheelbarrow full of #2 river rock and a few pieces of flagstone left.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just something I thought I would share. When I first built the pond I laid the liner on the ground and laid rocks on top. I found that it made it easy for stuff to wash in the pond plus I had a hard time hiding the liner between the rocks and the water line. A very smart person on another forum suggested I do this. Please don't mind my lack of drawing ability LOL. The pic on the left is how it did it to hide the liner, prevent run off, and allow me to add another 2-4 inches of water in the pond above grade. It has worked great! I was also able to reduce the amount of rocks in the water using this method. The pic on the right is the typical way and the way I initially did it to show the difference. Essentially you are creating a lip or bowl with the liner edge rather than laying it flat on the outside of the pond.

Just wanted to share this for any new pond builders.
GreaT...just need more rocks!

Ask a Question