How to keep a duck pond clean

Reaction score
Country
United States
Starting a new thread for the benefit of anyone searching generally for duck pond solutions.....
We decided to build a bog for our duck pond and it's working brilliantly. Go to my other post (not sure how to link sorry) to see the work.

new pond and bog - status report​

We estimate that our pond is probably around 400 gallons, our bog maybe half that. Max depth of pond about 3 ft but generally much less.
Bog is 12 inches of pea gravel. We use a small pump to bring water from the pond to the bog, and it returns via a small spillway.
We currently have only 2 ducks. Our bog plants are struggling (a combination of too much shade and not enough nutrient load yet),
but even so the water remains clear after 2.5 months.
Calling the bog a huge success!

Reaction score
Country
United States
hard to get a decent photo with the light right now but here goes....
IMG_4025.jpg

The rock you see in the water is holding down the screen which covers our bucket and filter. The screen is about 4-5 inches below the water line, the top of that rock maybe 2 inches below the water line. Back in the day we never had such water clarity.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
say, we have a rule of thumb for koi, but don't we need one for ducks? Seems one koi is a LOT less than one duck, so since we give 1000 gallons for the first koi and 500 for the next, this should mean...wait, the math is getting scary...no, no, that can't be right...ah well, I think this proves you just need to enlarge the pond, you know, give in to your LPS!!!! After all, practice makes perfect!

and actually, seems like a lot more than 400 gallons to me...

:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
ok some quick math here does in fact give me something more like 1200-1400 gallons.
that's still prob wrong; it's based on what i think i remember the approximate dimensions being.
but even with a decent margin of error - holy cow was i off!
i can't work out the bog but it's doing the job so good enough for now. there may be more ducks coming soon so we'll see what happens.

what's LPS?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
what's LPS?
larger pond syndrome

Nice looking duck pond!