How to keep a pumpless, filterless pond free of mosquitoes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My pond is mostly just a natural wild pond with most emphasis on plants. Any tips on how to keep it mosquito free? Aerators, mosquito bits/dunks? I’m also wondering whether an aerator is beneficial for my pond plants and if I would absolutely need one for some kind of water movement.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don’t plan on having any fish. Maybe a couple of some small goldfish if that controls the mosquito population. But I’m worried they might cause some plant damage?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Moving water is the easiest way to end them they need still water a simple water droplet is all they need make the water a stream or a pon with water movement and there will be no mosquitos

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Does an aerator do it’s job well with water movement? I originally wasn’t planning on making a waterfall or stream.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If the airator keeps the surface moving all over, you should be ok. As for “ small goldfish “ they don’t stay small. Minnows such as rosy reds do. If you look online, you’ll see that the fancy type goldfish get to be roughly baseball sized, and can’t escape from things like raccoons that may come by, but the common type get to be about a foot long. True minnows will be much smaller and as such, do better in a small pond.
If you go with dunks, research what they contain, as you can expect frogs, toads, and maybe other amphibious creatures which are sensitive even as adults to toxins in the water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They do for a defined area , they won't work real far from the source.

Dave Cee

High-school Sweethearts
Reaction score
Country
United States
Gambusia (mosquitofish) are available from our county Mosquito Abatement District (free). You might check with your county ag extension office. Best wishes. Dave
1615006184279.png

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
it's amazing how many species have the title mosquito fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We call those guppies in the north east

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have read so many stories filled with regret over putting gambusia in ponds - once you have them, it seems you'll never be rid of them. I recall specifically one ponder who emptied the pond completely and let it sit completely empty and dry for weeks as a last ditch effort to get them out of his pond. Filled it back up and BOOM. More fish. They are livebearing, so he surmised they must have managed to survive somewhere in his plumbing where he figured there were small pockets of water that never completely dried out. Every time I see the gambusia mentioned, I think of that poor guy and his battle! If you don't think it will ever matter, then go for it.

I do remember Meyer Jordan commenting once that gambusia are no better at consuming mosquitoes than any comet or shubunkin. They all find them delicious!

Ask a Question