How to keep fish from getting into skimmer?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5/6
Country
United States
I just lost a fish to my skimmer. Has anyone had the same problem and how did you stop it from happing again. My water just happed to be down a bit and I was going to bring it up a little. That's when I noticed one fish missing. It’s been over a month with these fish and this is the first time that it happened. He must have suffered for a long time. Poor thing. Thanks for your suggestions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just lost a fish to my skimmer. Has anyone had the same problem and how did you stop it from happing again. My water just happed to be down a bit and I was going to bring it up a little. That's when I noticed one fish missing. It’s been over a month with these fish and this is the first time that it happened. He must have suffered for a long time. Poor thing. Thanks for your suggestions.
I have a Savio skimmer and it has a flap that supposed to keep them out....... but sometimes small ones would get in.....I make it a habit to check my skimmer every day......bet I have rescued over a hundred frogs over the last 3 years....LoL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I too have a Savio skimmer. I took put a narrow diameter piece of PVC, wedged across the weir.......stuff still floats over the top os it, but my larger koi can not get in.

If you google DIY PVC skimmer guards, you'll find several examples.

Reaction score
Living Waters Solutions carries fish guards for the skimmer

Ask a Question