How to keep fountain running in freezing winter?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I just built a 10' diameter fountain with no fish. It is about 14" deep and about 900 gallons. The winter temperature here is about 25 Fahrenheit on average and could dip to 5 fahrenheit on cold snaps.

I want to keep it running in the freezing winter too. Will the fountain freeze solid if I keep the pump running and let water droplet break the ice?

Here is my fountain:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The fountain will freeze if it gets cold and dry enough, for long enough.
We have deep local man made ponds here with fountains that turn into 30 foot ice sculptures.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They turn the fountain off in Danville .Last year they did not expect that early cold and they had guys out there at 2 am preparing the pond for the shut down.I would not chance it .They now want to spend tax payers money on a heater for the water to run it ,makes no sense to me

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think the water will freeze. Sorry! You could heat the water, but I think that would be very expensive to carry out. You might look into that just out of curiosity.

Ask a Question