How to keep plastic tote from bulging when full of water....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know many of you use totes for various reasons -- what kinds of things do you do so they won't bulge when filled with water?

Here is the one I have -- it's a Rubbermaid, 54 gal., approx. 42"L x 21"W x 18" tall. Going to use it as a "nursery" tank, or transition tank for some babies.

image.jpg

At the moment, we have some ratcheting straps around it, but it's not really working too well.....

Reaction score
Pretty easy. Just make a frame with 1x3s that fits around the top, right where you have the flat area on the sides. You can cut some "legs" to hold it up if water pressure doesn't do it for you. I've used two of these. One sprung a leak in less than a year, the other is still in use after a year. They aren't very durable, but they are much better than the Sterilite tubs that disintegrate in a few months outside.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I also used ratchet straps when I did it, but I only had it filled a couple days. Those things are pretty useless with water in them. I never realized how weak they were.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
double them up I even do it for my filters or just build a wood frame around it out of 2x4 this way you can use it over again

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I also used ratchet straps when I did it, but I only had it filled a couple days. Those things are pretty useless with water in them. I never realized how weak they were.
When I had it in the bath tub, it was a perfect fit..... Duh :rolleyes:

double them up I even do it for my filters or just build a wood frame around it out of 2x4 this way you can use it over again
We're about to go see what doubling them will do, and if NOT, then we'll go with lumber. It's just that Hubby says "if it's temporary, why worry about it." Our definitions of "temporary" differ. To Hubby, it means a few days. To me, it means maybe the rest of the summer.....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh but the chances of it splitting are more than you want to take the chance with .I had a filter built with a doubled up tote for almost 4 years but it was to small for my pond .Had to cut the handles off the 1 tote so it would fit down inside the other tote

Attachments

• pond parts 002.JPG
    pond parts 002.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 682
  • pond parts 013.JPG
    pond parts 013.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 581

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would spend the money on one of those rubbermaid stock tanks. They even have a drain near the bottom.
Have 2 already: a 300 and a 100 gal. The 300 gal. is my temp holding tank for the pond fish while doing pond repairs, and the 100 is the Skippy, which is still in use, set up for the 300 gal. Actually, the 50 gal. Rubbermaid stock tank would prob. work, but haven't looked to see how deep it is. Don't want it too shallow, as we get HOT summer temps.

Anyway, I just fitted the 2 totes together. They still bulge, but not as bad as originally. I'll keep an eye on them.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Unfortunately, those totes were designed to hold your off-season clothing, not a full load of water. My recommendation is to build a box approximately 4" longer and wider than the bin, and 2" higher. Place 2" of concrete in the bottom, put the bin on top, and slowly fill the bin with water while filling the box with concrete. This way your bin should last for a number of years. ;) The stock tank is cheaper, though, and easier to maneuver!
John

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Hey, you could build it on a skid, and use a forklift when you need to move it! Sorry, I guess my tongue was in my cheek when I wrote that! :LOL:
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Unfortunately, those totes were designed to hold your off-season clothing, not a full load of water. My recommendation is to build a box approximately 4" longer and wider than the bin, and 2" higher. Place 2" of concrete in the bottom, put the bin on top, and slowly fill the bin with water while filling the box with concrete. This way your bin should last for a number of years. ;) The stock tank is cheaper, though, and easier to maneuver!
John
Yeah, I think in the future I will go with a stock tank, but for this application, already had the totes, and it was not exactly, but almost an emergency, so.... One inside the other isn't the best way to go, but I think will hold until these babies are old enough to go with the big fishies.

Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If you have a home depot near you I used what they had as a truck bed box. That was somewhere in between the price of the two and bows maybe half an inch with about 40 gallons in it. I cannot find it on there website however so they may have phased them out.

Ask a Question