How to keep squirrels away

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi my pond and garden area is in it's fourth spring now and I feel like both the pond and garden are really established. Unfortunately it looks like the squirrels agree and are really wreaking havoc. I always had a few but this spring they are really doing a lot of damage to the plants. I don't want to kill Any of them. Is there any way to just keep them from digging up the garden?
Thanks Kenny

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Squirrels are a royal pain. I raise oak trees as a hobby and have to keep seedlings inside a wire cage to keep the squirrels from destroying them. The yard looks the beaches at Normandy after the Allied bombardment there are so many random holes dug by the squirrels everywhere. I have a couple of dogs that will bark and chase them with a vigor...except they spend most of the day asleep, while the vandalism goes unchecked. Good luck, but don't hold your breath...

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are you allowed to trap and relocate squirrels where you live? If so, that might be an option. Sure, they’ll eventually repopulate. A rehabber once told me that if you relocate squirrels, take them across a body of water (like a river or large lake). Not sure if that’s true, but apparently it’s supposed to make it harder for them to find their way home.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Hopefully a predator will take care of your problem (hawk, owl, ect..) since nature does a great job of controlling numbers (well it did an even better job before man interfered with highways and buildings in the way of what used to be normal trails for wildlife to get food (coyotes, ect)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Are you allowed to trap and relocate squirrels where you live? If so, that might be an option. Sure, they’ll eventually repopulate. A rehabber once told me that if you relocate squirrels, take them across a body of water (like a river or large lake). Not sure if that’s true, but apparently it’s supposed to make it harder for them to find their way home.
I’ve done catch and release, and take them five miles away, there’s water and highways they have to cross before they get back here. I’ve done pretty much every critter expect a fox. I don’t know who is more nervous at the release point, me or the critters. squirrels launch out of there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have had good success with the products from 'I Must Garden'. They make squirrel repellant in both spray & granular.

And, yes, they will come back from a long way if relocated. You have to take them at least 5 miles, and I'd bet those little hooligans would still find their way home.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My yard is fenced and I have a little terrier who is relentless at keeping them treed. Over the years they seem to have moved elsewhere. Of course he does do a little digging of his own so I gave him one of my raised beds.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi my pond and garden area is in it's fourth spring now and I feel like both the pond and garden are really established. Unfortunately it looks like the squirrels agree and are really wreaking havoc. I always had a few but this spring they are really doing a lot of damage to the plants. I don't want to kill Any of them. Is there any way to just keep them from digging up the garden?
Thanks Kenny
I’m brand new, Kirk, but maybe check out something like this…..? No affiliation or idea if they work or not, though. My dog helps and I have a net I can take off easily when I'm not around.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks for all the help. I'll try the natural Squirrel repellent and let you guys know.
Thanks again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have problems with squirrels in the garden, too. In the fall, they bury black walnuts in the garden area, especially in the raised beds. All this spring they have been digging them up.

I read that they hate the smell of coffee, so I'm spreading coffee grounds around those areas every day. Haven't done it long enough to know if it works, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
@Kirk44 - please post any things that work. Our 1 1/2 acre is home to dozens of grey squirrels. Huge pain with their digging and getting into the garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have problems with squirrels in the garden, too. In the fall, they bury black walnuts in the garden area, especially in the raised beds. All this spring they have been digging them up.

I read that they hate the smell of coffee, so I'm spreading coffee grounds around those areas every day. Haven't done it long enough to know if it works, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Man, if the coffee grounds work I'll be a regular dumpster diver at my local Starbucks...

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We have the steel torpedoes on our bird feeder poles. Worked great since we put them up. Yesterday I saw a squirrel on the peanut tray! How did he get there??? Climbed up brick chimney, ran across the roof and jumped to feeder!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
We have the steel torpedoes on our bird feeder poles. Worked great since we put them up. Yesterday I saw a squirrel on the peanut tray! How did he get there??? Climbed up brick chimney, ran across the roof and jumped to feeder!
They were filming the next episode of American Ninja Squirrel.

Ask a Question