How to lesson the stress on fish when replacing the liner

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Found the hole in the liner. It is two inches down, in the middle of a bunch of folds. The folds will not straighten out to even attempt to patch the hole and since the liner is 18 years old, I’ve decided to replace it.

After getting over the sticker shock of the cost of labor to remove the rock that I can’t, and replace the liner, I am now trying to figure out how not to kill the fish. I would appreciate any and all advice.

First issue is storing the fish while the work is being done. Work can take up to three days, but I am hoping for two.
  • I am buying an inflatable swimming pool (8’x6’x22”) to place pond water and the fish in while the work is being done.
  • I have an aerator that I will use to help circulate the water.
  • I will cover the pool with a net to prevent the fish from jumping out.
  • I will also create a ‘lean-to’ out of a reflecting tarp to hopefully keep the water from getting too hot. Unfortunately, the pool will be in full sun all day.
  • Is there anything else that I should do?
Second issue is getting the pond up and running for the fish.
  • The pond water that is in the pool will be transferred to the pond.
  • Prime will be added to treat the additional tap water that will be needed.
  • All the beneficial bacteria will be gone in the pond and filters. I have two round Matala filters that are in the bio-falls box. Would it do any good to just place them in water while work is being done? Would it keep any beneficial bacteria alive? There would be no water circulating through the filters.
  • What else can I do?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Any chance you could set up the pool in your garage, out of the full sun?

I think you've covered most of the points I'd recommend. I would add small daily water changes to your regimen....not big ones. I once saw where someone placed their filter mats in a container with holes above the temporary pond and pumped water over it.....thus keeping good bacteria going and aerating the water at the same time. You could probably used something like saw horses ( I have plastic ones from Home Depot) and a laundry basket to hold the mats or if you were using a stock tank, place boards over top.

I use a lot of wood clamps to secure the netting when I remove the koi from the fish, it's surprising how strong they are. Keeping them in a dark / dim environment will help them remain calm.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Are you hiring pond pros to do the replacement? I would expect them to help with the equipment and advice to keep the fish safe and happy. But if this is more of anDIY with paid muscle, then I’d say you’re on the right track!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would get a koi sock you catch the koi with a net but to carry them over to the temp pond their own weight can break their back {Thus why some fish look like they are bent} the bigger they are the better the chase of this happening . fish aren't meant to deal with their actual weight out of water . thus the major advantage to the koi sock.

I would also get start right and add that to the water it helps the fish to rebuild the slime coating that will be rubbed off by the net.

Yes i would grab your filter pads and rinse them in the pond water lightly, just fanning them back and forth to remove the denitrus.
Then just place them in the pond with the fish as any ammonia may be created you have some bacteria to help.

As mentioned don't feed or minimally if you feel you must.

A back up way to aerate if plan A breaks down

Make the pond bigger, bigger still, bigger yet.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Any chance you could set up the pool in your garage
I have room in the garage, but I am not sure how I can get the pond water to the pool if it is in the garage.
I once saw where someone placed their filter mats in a container with holes above the temporary pond and pumped water over it.....thus keeping good bacteria going and aerating the water at the same time.
Interesting idea. I will have to think about how I could set this up.
Are you hiring pond pros to do the replacement? I would expect them to help with the equipment and advice to keep the fish safe and happy. But if this is more of anDIY with paid muscle, then I’d say you’re on the right track!
I am having someone help do the removal of large rocks and putting the liner in. Pros? Not sure. They build ponds. Not sure if that makes them pros. They are going to use totes to store the fish! That is why I am investing in an inflatable pool.
Yes i would grab your filter pads and rinse them in the pond water lightly, just fanning them back and forth to remove the denitrus.
Then just place them in the pond with the fish as any ammonia may be created you have some bacteria to help.
I like this idea, but wonder about how much room in the pool this is going to take. But now thinking about it, I could use one and place it on bricks to raise it so that the fish could also use it as some place to hide.

Thanks everyone!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I would get a koi sock you catch the koi with a net but to carry them over to the temp pond their own weight can break their back
I never thought about that. My koi aren't large, but my net isn't either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I never thought about that. My koi aren't large, but my net isn't either.
I decided I'm not removing koi from my pond again without an open koi sock. Last time I removed them their scales caught on the net. Also, with the koi sock you lift them in water, then just open the other end and allow them to swim out.

Ask a Question