How to make a bog with natural pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all - I have a small (about 15' diameter) natural pond. I'd like to do what I can to clear the water a bit. It's been suggested that I build a bog for it. Does anyone have instructions on how to accomplish this?

Thanks...
puddle.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is the water ever higher than shown in the picture?

Basically you need a structure to hold the water and pea gravel for the bog. Looks like there is a slope on the back side of the pond.
You could dig down and put in a liner to hold the pea gravel and water, but would it mess with your natural water flow? Maybe

Or put a stock tank on the back bank, put rocks wood etc around to hide. Run some pipes from the pond to the bog and have the water circulate between the two. The bog structure waterfalls back into the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I don't know anything about keeping a natural pond clear.

It looks like the water has suspended soil since it's brown.

If the fish, rain, etc are stirring things up, won't it be hard to keep it clear?

At least it's not green from algae.

Other than installing a liner, I'm stumped.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is the water ever higher than shown in the picture?

Basically you need a structure to hold the water and pea gravel for the bog. Looks like there is a slope on the back side of the pond.
You could dig down and put in a liner to hold the pea gravel and water, but would it mess with your natural water flow? Maybe

Or put a stock tank on the back bank, put rocks wood etc around to hide. Run some pipes from the pond to the bog and have the water circulate between the two. The bog structure waterfalls back into the pond.
Hi addy1 -

I can make the water level whatever I want. I have water from my well about 100' away, and it would be easy to run some pipe down to the pond.

Behind the pond would be a good place for anything that I build/install; I don't expect that it would interfere with the existing flow of water into the pond (however it gets there, which is still a mystery).

Can you tell me more about the stock tank?

Thanks...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you can dig I would do a liner, but you may mess with the natural filling of the pond. A stock tank, you would want a decent size, round oblong etc. I run my pipes up and over, others drill holes your choice.

Read here about building different bogs.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Here is a tip.
Put the sods grass-side down around the perimeter of your bog garden if you're digging it into turf for an immediate, nutrient-rich planting medium.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
As long as you have a slope running down to the pond, I think you're going to struggle to clear the water. Remember - a bog is primarily for biological filtration. Pond water can be perfectly healthy and safe for fish and still be murky, brown, etc. To remove suspended particles you may need mechanical filtration (ie filter pads). But again, if this pond gets run-off from rain, you need to reduce or remove the possibility of getting dirt washed into the pond.

Also an unlined pond is nothing but dirt on the bottom - depending on what kind of dirt, it may be constantly agitated and you'll be fighting a losing battle. If it's hard pack clay you may have a chance of clearing it up.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
as mentioned above with the ground sloping toward the pond if there is any exposed soils it could be an endless battle. Planting a thick stable vegetation on the way to the pond can easily resolve that in most cases.
Look at the bog as a separate pond and it has a stream leading from one pond to the other. and how ALL streams cut there way by erosion into the soil. so dig a trench . Start at the edge of the lower pond now you have to think is the flow of water going to be weak enough that gravel and some rocks laying on a rubber base will stay in place or will you need to dig a bit deeper and line the bottom of the stream with flat rocks that you can lock in place. with each other , some spray water fall foam , or even mortar. now so long as the rubber liner or hdpre runs into the pond you should not loose water.
Now the sides of that same trench you'll want create a shelf one that will be blow the water liner so that you can seal the water with foam and keep the flow of water ontop of the rocks and where you can see it and now run under them. the top of the same rocks needs to be higher than the edges so you can fold over the rubber liner and hidden by the rock and some gravel or soils on the other.
Run that rubber up to the bog or you can have the rubber all be one piece that runs into the bog i suggest the stream liner be run up into the bog and then the bogs liner run over that and don't be stingy with the rubber here you'll want it to be a wide area especially the higher the falls and the greater the flow rate.
Making the falls area in the shape of a flattened out horse shoe is best or you'll need a nice wide area for the water to fall into. The splash is a challenge to control . anyone who has seen a public fountain has probably noticed the water splash well outside the base of the fountain. that maybe ok for a public fountain . but when you have to replace hundreds of gallons a day or week it's a lot cheaper and easier to control as much as you can. The larger rocks to each side catch any splash that may occur and under both of the bolders and going well past is the same liner so if any water should get past these it finds it's way back into the pond.
5.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
it sounds like adding a berm or an elevated lip around the perimeter would help with runoff. In a way that diverts run off from the higher points as well (berm with a small swale?). A swale will actually help to slowly add to the underground water which will help keep the natural water level up. This is a natural clay soil that is keeping the water in place? Not sure if the latter is true in that case, but a berm/swale will keep runoff out.

Rather than dig, why not build an elevated bog adjacent to the pond? Can use packed stone/dirt, railroad ties, cinderblocks, etc and then a liner for the bog structure. Then run a pipe and a pump and create an up flow bog with a waterfall as a return. If you can add a bog that is 15% of the existing surface area you should be good.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi addy1 -

I don't expect that it would interfere with the existing flow of water into the pond (however it gets there, which is still a mystery).

If you are wondering how water gets in there (besides runoff) it may be that a natural spring feeds it. Besides the standard runoff from the incline. And if the soil is high in clay, then it forms a natural liner for the pond itself.

Building up the perimeter will allow you to isolate that fact. And avoid crud from runoff. Fill with more water and watch the levels. Maybe a good idea to do that, before making a bog filter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
if it is a vernal pool you may want to read up on what they are and check your deed to see what that spot is referred to as. if it has those words or similar be careful as to your disruption of it.

Ask a Question