How to make a hardware cloth container pond lid

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi everyone! Here's a question...is there any way to create a container water garden with a hardware cloth lid stapled to the top of the container, without depriving one of easy access to the container pond's contents for trimming and other maintenance? I was thinking that some kind of door could be made, but I have no clue how such a door could be made. Thanks :)

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Is it square or round?

Square is pretty simple, you could build a square wood frame out of something like 2x2s, build another smaller frame that sits just inside the outer frame, attach the inside one to the outside one using hinges and some sort of block from it falling in on the unhinged side. Then add hardware cloth to the smaller frame. Now you have a lid that sits on top of the pond and just swings up and open if needed.

Round would be much harder to implement that same principle cause wood can't exactly bend that much, so in that case I would be stumped on how to make a decently looking and functioning cover.

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Is it square or round?

Square is pretty simple, you could build a square wood frame out of something like 2x2s, build another smaller frame that sits just inside the outer frame, attach the inside one to the outside one using hinges and some sort of block from it falling in on the unhinged side. Then add hardware cloth to the smaller frame. Now you have a lid that sits on top of the pond and just swings up and open if needed.

Round would be much harder to implement that same principle cause wood can't exactly bend that much, so in that case I would be stumped on how to make a decently looking and functioning cover.
Cool idea! Unfortunately the only easily available rectangular containers around here are storage bins...which may (depending on the storage bin) be short lived outdoors.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Cool idea! Unfortunately the only easily available rectangular containers around here are storage bins...which may (depending on the storage bin) be short lived outdoors.
yup, storage bins would probably also bow a ton when filled with water...

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What's the lid for?
Keeping out pests...ideally raccoons, toddlers (though since my intention is to protect them it's debatable whether they count as 'pests'), and predatory insects. If I opt not to keep fish in it (which I am leaning towards in view of the apparent difficulties of keeping predatory insects out of these things) then only raccoons and toddlers will be of concern. I do see deer out back on a semi regular basis, but never outside of the cover of the forest...they are probably not brazen enough to come over and try to get at the plants.

yup, storage bins would probably also bow a ton when filled with water...
True. I did find some home depot storage bins that claimed they could hold several hundred pounds on the inside, but even assuming that was accurate they would still require not filling them all the way to the top with water (which wouldn't be an awful problem, in all fairness...). Since the storage bins come with lids, I could simply cut two holes in the lid (with a brace in the middle of the lid), cover the holes with hardware cloth (held in place with cable ties), and keep the lid attached if not doing pruning or water changes.

EDIT; Here is the actual pond I am most favoring; https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tuff-stuff-products-tuff-round-tub-25-gal?cm_vc=-10005#

Last edited:

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Keeping out pests...ideally raccoons, toddlers (though since my intention is to protect them it's debatable whether they count as 'pests'), and predatory insects. If I opt not to keep fish in it (which I am leaning towards in view of the apparent difficulties of keeping predatory insects out of these things) then only raccoons and toddlers will be of concern. I do see deer out back on a semi regular basis, but never outside of the cover of the forest...they are probably not brazen enough to come over and try to get at the plants.

True. I did find some home depot storage bins that claimed they could hold several hundred pounds on the inside, but even assuming that was accurate they would still require not filling them all the way to the top with water (which wouldn't be an awful problem, in all fairness...). Since the storage bins come with lids, I could simply cut two holes in the lid (with a brace in the middle of the lid), cover the holes with hardware cloth (held in place with cable ties), and keep the lid attached if not doing pruning or water changes.

EDIT; Here is the actual pond I am most favoring; https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tuff-stuff-products-tuff-round-tub-25-gal?cm_vc=-10005#
I used that tub for a goldfish quarantine recently, I drilled holes in the lip on the side, and just zip tied some deer netting ( flexible, black but hardware cloth would be the same idea ) to half of it and then I would just lift it up on the un ziptied part to access it. Not the greatest but pretty low profile as long as you cut the netting on top to a circle, and trim the zip tie ends.

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I used that tub for a goldfish quarantine recently, I drilled holes in the lip on the side, and just zip tied some deer netting ( flexible, black but hardware cloth would be the same idea ) to half of it and then I would just lift it up on the un ziptied part to access it. Not the greatest but pretty low profile as long as you cut the netting on top to a circle, and trim the zip tie ends.
Sounds reasonable. Thanks :)

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have devised a modification of the above suggestion...my idea is to attach the hardware cloth lid to the water garden with cable ties (which are not tightened fully) on one side and several pieces of acrylic yarn (tied in knots) on the other side. When I want to get in the water garden, I would untie the acrylic yarn knots and lift the lid (which, because I will not tighten the cable ties fully, should act like a door) to access the contents of the water garden; I was also thinking of putting a hole in the lid for a marginal plant. How does all of this sound?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You are nothing if not a planner!

Here's my only take on this plan - if you can open it, don't assume a toddler (or raccoon, to be honest) won't be able to figure it out, too. You may be able to slow them down, but don't assume it's 100% tot proof or predator proof.

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Maybe I could just use cable ties and cut them off once a month for plant trimming and fertilizing?

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Maybe I could just use cable ties and cut them off once a month for plant trimming and fertilizing?
have you thought about using clips? I am honestly not sure if you could get ones that would be strong enough, but it is a possibility

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

Just something like this, zip/cable ties would probably be more low profile as long as you don't have to get in a lot though :)
Yeah, I could probably get away with removing the cable ties only once a month so long as the lid has a hole for a marginal plant (which would double as the top off chamber). Once a month I would go in for trimming the plants and fertilizing.

Ask a Question