How to make pond bigger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok ladies and gentlemen. I am thinking of making my pond bigger. I have a like decking wall around the pond. One to segregate it from the garden and two for the cabling and wiring and electrical stuff. So my plan is rather than dig it deeper. To raise it to the top of the first piece of decking and then raise all the decking by one piece. I think it would be easier and less disruption for the fish. Obviously would have to get a bigger liner and raise the falls but that's no issue. Could I just go over the top of the existing liner with the new liner? And my plan is to frame the bottom piece of decking out and lay like a 4x2 timber level with the top of the decking and that will give me my new pond level. I'd be screwing to the decking and putting like fence posts into the ground to give it a foundation. Now my main question is I planned on tucking the liner into the decking wall and up. But its painted so any rain and water would run down and off the painted decking into the pond. So would I be better leaving a slight gap between the frame and the decking wall and tucking the liner underneath the frame. Then water will just drip down and go into the soil. Potentially it could get in between the new liner and old liner if I do that tho so would that be a problem. I have pictures of the pond and decking wall now so just try to imagine the bottom piece of decking having a 4x2 timber screwed to it horizontally and then fence posts underneath giving it its support. All the way round. That would be the new pond level if it makes sense. My main concern is the fact the decking is painted. Do I want that water to run off into spoiler rather than the liner being tucked under and it running into the pond

Attachments

• 20210713_204544.jpg
    20210713_204544.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 20210713_204457.jpg
    20210713_204457.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210713_204446.jpg
    20210713_204446.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 55
Reaction score
Yes, you can go over the existing liner with a larger piece of liner. If water gets under it, it won't hurt anything. The weight of the water in the pond will keep the original line in place. As for water running from the deck into the pond, I can't see that as an issue for the pond. There are far worse things that can get into a pond from ground runoff.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Actually it can help to cause hippoing as the water and or air can develop and get trapped

Ask a Question