how to make waterfall more silent

Reaction score
Hi i have a small waterfall that i build in my backyard spilling to my pond.now my

mother saying that sound of falling water is too loud for her and i think its insane because the waterfall have a 0.55 (1ft 921⁄32in) spillway and its only a 0.40 (1ft 33⁄4in) meter tall.
anyone can give me advice on how to make it more silent but still give air to the

water?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
13-ear-plugs.jpg

Or put something under the waterfall to break up the fall of the water.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Good one John, I am in the same boat and actually enjoy the calm when I have had to turn the pump off for steam work (widening, don't tell my hubby).
I want to see if there is a baffle I can make or buy to put in the falls box to slow it down.

I made several attempts at making the falls with large field stones but to much noise and splash. I pulled all rocks out to start over in the spring, I'm tired and done with the frustration for the year! I found that with the falls dropping straight down onto the stream (about 2') it is quieter. I have some poly batting in a bag at the bottom of falls box to reduce the splash, noise and filter my construction dirt.
I'm considering sinking the falls box in the dirt but I really don't want my plumbing (bottom of box) that far out of sight and reach.
I'm looking at falls rocks that are like this to quite and slow it down? I'm wondering if several smaller drops will reduce noise?
waterfall-backyard-diy.jpg

I have no idea really I just know the other way wasn't pleasing.

Reaction score
Do you have 2 threads of this topic? I also thought of a smaller pump but I really want excellent water movement for my small 1,000 gal.

Last edited:
Reaction score

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
So there are 3 threads but 2 are the water fall noise. Maybe they didn't think one of the threads posted so it was re-entered. Funny when I saw the 2nd thread I was wondering why you changed your pic. They wondered why my post wasn't there cause I didn't want to re-type all that stuff!
You need to read what I wrote in the first thread...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have a variable pump - we can turn the flow up or down, depending on the look/sound we're going for. Although we rarely change it now, once we found the flow that was most pleasing. I know that's not an option for those of you who already have pumps in place, but for someone who may be in the planning stages it might help.

We found designing the waterfalls (inflow and outflow) was the most challenging part of the pond build. And since our main waterfall is constructed of large "three man boulders" we really had one chance to get it right - not a lot of chance to move things around after the fact. We basically "built" our waterfall on the lot of the rock supplier as we handpicked the rocks we wanted for the falls. It was a bit tricky! Being able to adjust the flow was a bonus for us.

Ask a Question