How to net a fish

rdk

Reaction score
In the Spring I had a situation where one of my goldfish had food stuck in his mouth. I ran for my fish net to try to get him. He would have NONE of that. He went so fast that after a verylong period of time the food vanished. I noticed in a pond book a very expensive fish net called a soft koi sock net. Has anyone used this? Is it worth the investment. Thank you.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
RDK
I had a guy from LA come by to relocate a 24" koi that I wanted to remove from my breeding stock. When I went to net the koi, he said stop and got his own net from his car.

This net was made of very nice netting and I suspect it was like the one you mentioned. i asked him what he paid for it and was shocked to hear it was $250.00.

Koi have a barb that can get caught up in a conventional net. This special net avoids that. If anyone finds a reasonable source for these, please post a link.

The big box pet stores don't carry this net, I have looked for them.

rdk

Reaction score
I saw this net in the Dr. Foster cat. Handle is 12 inches net.12" depth 12". Silk padded for abrasion free use, Fine and ulta- fine models. one retains water, the other does not. $49.99.each. Is this what you mean or wanted Dr. Dave?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i believe hes talking the barbels, the whiskers at the edge of the mouth..they can snag the net and tear the tissue leaving a wound that can get quite serious exspecially if infected.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have had fins get caught and when time is of the essence, I don't stop to examine the location. All i know is a bit stressfull on the Koi and me when it has happened.

As for the Dr Foster stuff, I really would need to see and feel it to know it was the same.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You don't use a koi sock to catch fish, It's used to transport fish either to a bag or bowl next to the pond.
When I'm bagging fish I take my large koi net and gently herd it to a koi bowl setting in the pond. The I hand carry it to the bag,
You can do the same with a koi sock.
You herd the fish to the ponds edge and then catch it head first into the sock.
I use s wet sock that hold water,

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I noticed when we netted a few koi this year that there are barbs on the anal fin that can easily get caught on any type of netting. It is very hard to free the fish from the net so I am going to line my nets with a solid fabric next year before we net anymore fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I sell 2 socks.
12" diameter aluminum frame
12" long wooden handle
one is 48" long, very soft mesh, not watertight, but will not pass water quickly.
the other is 26" long watertight sock and 18" long soft 1/8" mesh that allow water to pass through

Reaction score
too bad they don't make an aluminum ring onto which you could attach a plastic transfer bag. You herd the fish into that and then lift it out. I really like that idea.

Otherwise I don't understand what's being said here. Seems many different things are being discussed--different kinds of nets, materials, bowls, etc. Plus the notion of nets snagging delicate parts of the fish. Makes sense but it's new to me.

How do I transfer the 18 fish we have in the holding tanks over to the pond this spring?

Ask a Question