How to open the bottle of pond treatment chemical!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a bottle of Cloverleaf Absolute Clear to get rid of the algae in my new pond, and can’t work out how to open the bottle! It has two apertures with screw top caps, and at the moment I haven’t got a drop out of it in case I’m doing something wrong. Do I just get a lid off and measure some chemical into an old receptacle which I then tip into the side of the pond, or do I somehow extract some of the pond water and dilute the chemical with that before adding it back to the pond? There are no instructions on the bottle. Help!!!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome.

Since there were no instructions, maybe you could contact the company or at least check out their web site.

Not too many of us here use chemicals to fight algae. We rely on Mother Nature, and we tend to use plants in our ponds to seek a natural balance.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i think it works where you take one cap off gently squeeze the bottle and the liquid will rise to the other chamber stop squeezing at the required amount put the cap back on then remove the other cap and pour into your receptacle mix with pond water, as Mmathis says look to why you have algae to begin with, if its a new pond then it is probably "cycling" look up new pond syndrome. and welcome to the forum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sorry i think you need to remove both caps gently squeeze to required amount and put cap on the empty side then pour into receptacle sorry for any confusion ( senior moment):sleep:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'll add another vote for "Don't open it at all!" Algae is telling you something about your pond...most likely it's "new pond syndrome". Too many nutrients and not enough bacterial action or plant growth to control it.

Tell us a bit more - how big is your pond? How many gallons? Type of filtration? Fish? If so, what kind and how many? How long has the pond been running? All of these will give us some clues as to what's going on and whether it should be a concern at all!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I wouldn't open it either but if I had to and had such complicated instructions to do so, I'd go for my sawzall and just get it over with!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome.

Since there were no instructions, maybe you could contact the company or at least check out their web site.

Not too many of us here use chemicals to fight algae. We rely on Mother Nature, and we tend to use plants in our ponds to seek a natural balance.
I tried the manufacturer’s website but it was useless, and their phone number didn’t work. I’d like to use Nature, but having ordered oxygenators and other plants about a month ago, I still haven’t received any.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll add another vote for "Don't open it at all!" Algae is telling you something about your pond...most likely it's "new pond syndrome". Too many nutrients and not enough bacterial action or plant growth to control it.

Tell us a bit more - how big is your pond? How many gallons? Type of filtration? Fish? If so, what kind and how many? How long has the pond been running? All of these will give us some clues as to what's going on and whether it should be a concern at all!
My pond is about 1.5m across, roughly circular, with a meter at its deepest, some shelves and a sloping side to which I have added cobbles to make a “shore”. We filled it with tap water about six weeks ago, but the designer didn’t come up with a list of plants to order for a couple of weeks. I ordered the plants, which included oxygenators and marginals, but so far have had none delivered. I asked what to do about the algae and the designer told me to use a chemical. I’m regretting buying this stuff now!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
D7AFF7BB-77C2-435A-A8E0-2DD335A7BE5B.png

Their site has a “contact us” page. Of course, I’m not going to send them anything, nor am I going to try to call them. Maybe their phone is off for the Easter holidays, but you could send them a message.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah... sounds like the "designer" doesn't really understand eco-logical pond maintenance! Stick with us - we'll guide you through it! Plants are the single most important factor to an eco-pond. Until then, let the algae do it's thing. You may not appreciate it, but your fish and pond do!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I never use any chemicals. There have been so many horror stories from people who have used so-called fish and plant friendly algecides where all their fish have died.

Not being able to open that container is an open. Don't use it.

What you have there is "new pond syndrome".
Nature hasn't established a balance just yet. It takes time. Maybe weeks. Plants are essential in the process.

Ask a Question