How to plant water lilies

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. We have a rain-fed farm pond with variable water levels. At it deepest it is 7' in the center of the pond. Closer in, where we would like to put water lilies, the depth varies from 4' in rainy winter to 1-2' in deep summer. How would I go about planting a water lily in our farm pond? And when would be the best time of year? I am a bit perplexed because if I plant it in deep summer when the water levels are low and then the rains come and the water raises 3' very quickly, wouldn't the lily, well, drown? We are north of the SF Bay area, 9B zone-wise.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I would plant them in the Spring in the shallow water 2' to 4' and let them reach for the top which they will pretty fast and they will also spread out. If they choose to move deeper they will. I bet they will love it in your climate. They will take over!

Reaction score
Thanks, J.W. Sorry about my tardy reply to you. I didn't get notification that I had a response.

I can really plant these in the ground 4' under the surface of the water? That would be great!

The pond is not shallow in spring, though, because of late winter rains. Could I do this late summer when the pond is much lower?

Also, will they need protection from our koi? If so, what kind of protection?

Thanks so much.

Elizabeth

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't think you will get notification unless I was to type your @baker_eliz name like I just did.
You can start them in pots at a higher up depth and then lower them down to the 4' level as they send out the long stems and pads. It will just prolly take them longer to grow up to the top if you plant them down that deep at first but no big deal. I don't think it would hurt to plant them at the end of Summer. Just buy them in Spring and keep in pots and then transplant in late Summer.
And yes oh boy they will need protection from Koi and how you will do that I don't know as they can ravage them to death! Goldfish don't do that kind of damage and that's what I have. Maybe someone here who has koi and water lilies can help better w/this situation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh yes, the koi will destroy water lillies. Some people say you can plant them in plastic baskets or fabric containers surrounded by pebbles or other stones, but koi will just nibble on the tubers reaching up to the pads and destroy them that way. Or worse, they will yank the roots out of the containers and have a feast on the roots. I've had two ponds and 4 or 5 water lillies and the fish have managed to get them all. Maybe someone else here has had better luck and knows a way to keep the koi from feeding on them. If so I'd love to know how. Good luck if you try.

Reaction score
Thanks your your replies, ya'll. Given the severity of the drought here this year, perhaps I'll wait to try this. Our pond is turning into a mud puddle and we are seriously concerned about the life expectancy of our koi.

Ask a Question