How to prepare for winter?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello, will a 40g tank do well for my 4 pond fish? 2 koi 2 goldfish- goldfish are seperate from Koi for indoors. They are still baby's - I understand they grow quickly. They are only 8 months old? (Koi)- how big ahould they be?
Also can I keep my water hyathins over winter? If so how?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I keep my water hyacinths in the basement in a stock tank with a LED light and a aerator line in it and miracle grow .Here it is so hard to get them it is easier to over winter them and to me cheaper .My koi are 11 years old and around 2 feet long plus and i do not over feed them or give them growth food

Reaction score
Country
Canada
image.jpg
image.jpg
Yes, we will be building a pond much bigger than the tote.
We have a 40gallon tank for indoors + a 10 gallon upstairs.
Also will be getting 120gallon tank soon for free from a girl at my boyfriends work. So we will have lots of tanks.
The measuring tape is roughly how big the koi are, still baby's.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Pretty tank! It looks like your fish should be fine for the winter. How to prepare for winter? Start drawing plans for your new pond!

And I think you'll find people have mixed results with saving hyacinths (or any pond plants, really). If you have light and water they may be fine. For me, it's not worth the hassle since I can buy two for under $5 and have more than I know what to do with by the end of the season. Although if they continue regulating the sale in my state, I may have to learn to save them!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
here there is no place to buy them and NC they stopped selling them and water lettuce .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
here there is no place to buy them and NC they stopped selling them and water lettuce .

That's what I'm worried about. Although the pond plant sellers will come up with something else I'm sure - like the big water ferns the Ponddigger showed on one episode!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh those things were amazing but I wonder just how aggressive they are and how fast it will be before they are banned also .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just gotta stay one step ahead!

Saw your topic got covered today - good question! Although I don't like why you're asking it! :cry:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Looks good Alice.
I would take the heater out though if all you have is goldfish and koi in that tank.
Heaters can fail and stick in the "on" position.
Koi and goldfish don't require warm water.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Looks good Alice.
I would take the heater out though if all you have is goldfish and koi in that tank.
Heaters can fail and stick in the "on" position.
Koi and goldfish don't require warm water.
Okaay! Thank you for all the tips!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Were not going to keep the water hya. They grew so well this year we had to many. We will def begin to draw out pond ideas nd plans! Thanks everyone for the help :)

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Cut the marginal plants back to near nothing, cut the lilies back to nubs, if in tubs, move to deepest part of pond. Remove all organic debris from the bottom, skim the leaves off, stick in either/or a combination of aerators, breathers, heaters, circulating pumps (everyone has an opinion, but opinions are like the posterior openings of digestive tracts, everyone has one because if we didn't, we'd all be full of it). Drain the filter units, disconnect the hoses to the pumps (I leave the pumps in year round, it's deep enough), ensure that the hoses drain. Clean the filters, get rid of the sludge (put the sludge in the garden). Cold water bacteria is a waste of money, IMO. I pressure wash my waterfalls to get rid of any string algae, it's easier to remove when it's wet than when it's dried out.

Call travel agent. Start performing essential liver exercises.

After that, it's every fish for himself. All mine are on a plate or on the end of a lure.

Come the Spring, I just hook up the tubing and hit "on". Commence essential liver exercises.

Repeat process on an annual basis.

Ask a Question