how to prevent foam occuring?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by daddyp, Jun 21, 2012.

1. daddyp

don't ask

weird when i see it on my pond surface... Sissy, i guess you know foam at least in my experience are bubbles from waterfalls i think primarily that don't pop..they group together and form small masses of bubbles on surface...(at least that is what i think foam is) before i redid my pond i had dual waterfalls and decided to switch to a single coming down the center, for some reason(perhaps better agitation or something) i don't see it happen often and when i do i check my skimmer.. sometimes floating plants block the intake and i get foam, if it's cleared i see maybe a trace of foam starting where it enters the pond from the falls..yes weird..also if i were to bypass my falls and run a flex hose directly to pond and have it empty maybe a foot or two above the surface i don't get foam either

don't ask, Jun 24, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. daddyp

pugle1

That's the thing though .... I know I have decayed plant matter in my water, as I have sumac trees growing around the header pond for the water fall. Sumac has compound leaves, so it just drops the whole stem with all the leaflets attached. I do my best to keep them cleaned up as they fall, especially in autumn, but I know I never get all of them. Some manage to escape my attention I'm sure, and sink to the bottom. Too, the sumac are in "flowering mode" right now, so many of those tiny flower buds fall into the water as well.

So... this flocculent action I guess is what leads to what we know as pond scum? That's the DOC joining onto larger particles that then sink?

My water appears to be crystal clear until you shine a flashlight into it at night.... you can see the "hazy beam" cutting through the water. This haziness in the beam of the light is the DOC / DOM I'm assuming, and maybe some slightly larger suspended particles as well? If you look in my photo gallery at the earlier photos, you can clearly see the foam, but in the later ones, there is little or no foaming. This is what made me "guess" the added plants may have helped a bit.

Keep the info coming... this is interesting stuff.

pugle1, Jun 25, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. daddyp

crsublette coyotes call me Charles

I'm guessing it's one variable.

Yep. In full sun ya think everything is clear and dandy since I think the sun's beams tend to penetrate through the dissolved organics, I am guessing, giving the appearance of it not being there.

Nice pictures!

Crazy amount of foam there in the beginning. Yeah, last one there I see a little foaming, but it is getting better. Either the plant aglutinins causing it to sink or bubbles just clinging to the plants. Almost kind of looks like mine; has just a tiny bit of foam floating a few inches away from the waterfall, bubbles really small clinging to my plants and don't tend to pop.

I'm gonna try to build a mini-phraxionator; using MuckyWater previous post here as a guideline. Also, that Ethan guy, in Muckywater's thread there, mentions that foam comes and goes during particular time of day and the water hardness may have an effect on foam forming.

crsublette, Jun 25, 2012
  4. daddyp

Waterbug

I would say suspended particles. DOC particles are about 1/2 the size of most bacteria. I think it would be difficult to have a high enough DOC to affect clarity. However this all goes back to size. Suspended particles and DOCs are the same things, just different sizes.

Waterbug, Jun 25, 2012
  5. daddyp

pugle1

Thanks guys,

At least I have a better understanding of what the foam actually is, and the likely causes and potential treatments.

Cheers!

pugle1, Jun 26, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question