How to put planting containers in a pot?

Reaction score
Not quite sure if this is the right area, but since I'm new to all of this, hahaha

Anyways, I found a nice BIG plastic pot at walmart that's about 3' wide at the mouth, about 2' at the bottom, and about 3' tall. I'll probably try to bury it at least a foot deep too, as soon as I get off spring break and get a shovel, lol. Anyways, I originally wanted this for a dwarf water lilly, and I heard they should only be under about a foot of water at most...oops. lol with the extra deep space on the bottom, I'm planning on putting in a lot of aquarium plants so I can grow them out and sell them. That, however, leaves the sides, and I want to put more than just submerged plants in my pond, lol. lol Sorry I don't have a pic of it.

With such a deep pond though, I don't know what plants would do ok with deeper water, or how to attach pots to the sides of the pot. Can I glue containers and stuff to the sides of the pot? I don't want to drill it because it is plastic and it might crack and leak. Any ideas on how I could make this work?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I've seen hangers made of coat-hanger wire to hold pots at the appropriate level; one circle around the pot (near the top), two wires going down the front, crossed on the bottom, then up the back. Leave these long enough to bend into hooks, and you're all set! The wires don't really show, and besides, the plants soon hide them.
John

Reaction score
I've seen hangers made of coat-hanger wire to hold pots at the appropriate level; one circle around the pot (near the top), two wires going down the front, crossed on the bottom, then up the back. Leave these long enough to bend into hooks, and you're all set! The wires don't really show, and besides, the plants soon hide them.
John

Never thought of that, sounds like a great idea. College-budget friendly too, hahaha

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Hey, a couple of coat-hangers, two pairs of pliers (the wire IS tough) and you're set. And you'd be surprised how long those things last. A friend has half a dozen in his pond; they've been there for at least twelve years and none the worse for wear!
John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat idea haro, going to keep that in mind.

Ask a Question