How to raise edge of concrete pond?

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and to ponds, would love to hear your advice on a problem we're having with our small pond.

The edge of our pond is quite low compared to the surrounding grass lawn, and when it rains there's a lot of dirt runoff into the pond making it muddy. (The pond was built by the previous owner of our house and we inherited this problem)

What's the best way to raise the edge of the pond? The pond is concrete with a bricks and mortar edge. Will it work if we brick it higher? Should we be using other materials/techniques?

Thanks in advance,
Adeline

Attachments

• 0c66cd1.jpeg
    0c66cd1.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 452

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It will work bricking it higher, is your liner big enough to go higher? If you don't raise the liner the water will still make its way into your pond.

Unless you make a good barrier out of the new bricks, water proof. Actually your pond looks like it is concrete, is it?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
This is just an idea and I don't know if it would work but could one dig a trench around the edge of the pond and fill it w/ gravel deep enough so the water would not leach into the pond but down into the soil under the gravel? You could place the brick around the edge after filling w/ gravel. What do you think?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
This is just an idea and I don't know if it would work but could one dig a trench around the edge of the pond and fill it w/ gravel deep enough so the water would not leach into the pond but down into the soil under the gravel? You could place the brick around the edge after filling w/ gravel. What do you think?

French drain........forgot about that, a good and somewhat easy fix.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If you raise the edges with a row or 2 of brick, seal it with "thoroseal" and I would even mix some into the mortar.

Reaction score
Thanks all for the very useful advice! I think we'll try raising the edges and waterproof it as much as possible - mixing Thoroseal in the mortar is a fantastic idea.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Thoroseal is a little pricey but 1 bag goes a long way. I used it to fill all the gaps in my waterfall and it has held up for 4 years now. Some of the gaps were big enough to drop a #2 pencil into them. I made a paste and with a sandwich bag and a hole in the corner, squirted it into the gaps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
admix and portland cement is a good waterproofer if you don't mind the grey color.

Ask a Question