How to Relocate Fish

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions about how I could safely transport koi for a drive of about six hours?

I was thinking about putting the fish in a big cooler but am concerned about sloshing water.

The koi are about a foot long, so I'm rather concerned about how to safely transport them without sloshing water all over my vehicle.

I'm sorry to say that given the economic downturn and the resulting budget cuts, my job as a high school chef instructor is now on the chopping block. Some of the teachers of elective subjects are being terminated to save the critical positions of "must have" core academic instructors. Closure of our student operated restaurant will also allow my district to recover a tidy sum of money in funds that they they would not otherwise be allowed to touch according to state law.

On the brighter side, I've got a line on a job in the northern part of the state and have a good chance of landing a contract.

As difficult as it is to be pink slipped, this may wind up to be a good deal for me. Not only would the school in question be larger but instead of living in a small rural area that's dominated by greasy spoon diners and Mexican restaurants, I'd be living in a town with a fine dining restaurant, a sushi bar, a seafood place, and a steak house ... in addition to all of the greasy spoon diners, Mexican restaurants, and fast food places that can be found just about anywhere in the state.

Larger towns lend themselves to having more restaurants as well as a greater variety of restaurants which in turn creates a demand for staff which provides chef instructors like myself with job opportunities since someone has to train all of the high school students and high school graduates who work at such places.

Job security ... you've gotta love it ...

For that matter, larger towns also have a wider selection of homes, so instead of a remodeled log cabin that was built back in 1910, I might actually find myself in a home with central air and heating. Now wouldn't THAT be nice? (GRIN)

In the meanwhile, if things pan out, I'd love to take my koi with me ... so does anyone have any suggestions about how to safely transport large koi for several hundred miles?

I wish I could take my entire pond with me ...

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would think the cooler would work well,,,you can add a battery air pump for the ride..

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the pink slip. Think of it as an opportunity, I believe you already see that.

Using the cooler and tieing the bag will allow the water to remain in the bag. I think some exporters use ice to cool the water but I would research this before doing it. I would try to have it in the center of the vehicle to avoid the movement you would get at the back of the vehicle.

What are they going into at the destination?

Reaction score
DrDave said:
What are they going into at the destination?

Hmmmm ... hadn't thought that far ahead yet.

Assumning I land this job, I will buy a new house. To save time, I'll probably get a contractor to excavate the pond and put up a fence if the property needs a fence. Once the liner goes in and the water has had time to age for a couple of days, I can bring the fish up.

Filtration won't be pretty but I've got a mechanical/UV filter and pump ready to go. This can be built into a waterfall at a later date.

Cosmetic features like trimming the liner and hiding them under a perimeter of boulders and slate can also be done at a later date.

Wherever I wind up, the next pond I build will be my third pond.

One of the lessons I've learned from my last two ponds is that a completed pond is rarely is as large as the pond you would really like.

I can't tell you how many times I've thought that my current pond should be a foot deeper ... a few feet longer and wider ... with a taller waterfall and a longer creek ... (sigh)

If I had to do it over again, my attached bog garden would be twice or even three times the square footage it is now.

Ah well ... first things first ... land a job and buy a house and then we'll see.

The size, shape, and even the location of the pond will be dependent upon a number of factors. How big is the backyard? Are there any underground pipes or utility wires? Is there a detached garage, workshop, or guest house?

It will be interesting to see how things work out. If worse comes to worse, I may even have to relocate out of state.

I'm hoping that won't happen becuase if I land a job that's too far away, I may have to give up the fish.

I'm sure the fish would be tremendously relieved. My cats would be disappointed ... but that's a story for another day.

Ask a Question