How to replace pond light

Reaction score
Country
United States
One of my pond lights leaked and was damaged. I am trying to find another but I am having a tough time. I don't see any markings on the current one. Any suggestions? Also when I do find one, how do you install it? I think that they come with the wire attached. I would like to use my existing wire since I don't know where it runs. Is this doable? When I say the light was damaged, I mean it quit working. I took it apart and don't see any real damage. I assume the bulb is not good. Is it worth just trying a new bulb?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If you can get a picture onto your computer desktop, you can click and drag the picture into your next post.

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_1791.JPG
IMG_1790.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I would try replacing the bulb first.
Check to see if there's much corrosion on the inner socket at the same time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would try replacing the bulb first.

I would agree with Mitch on that suggestion - from the picture it doesn't appear your lens or housing is cracked. Unless you can see something that isn't visible in the picture. Ours all cracked - so annoying, and so expensive. We didn't think to install them below the ice level... which you think would have been in the instructions as a suggestion for some of us who aren't as clear thinking as others! haha! Lesson learned.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
looks like the ones that aquascape makes ,but could be any brand since they are mostly the same .What kind of plug in does it have will mostly tell you which brand it is .They sometimes have markings on the plug in with a symbol or it could be inside the light housing .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the help. I'll try replacing the bulb. The transformer is a Malibu. I can't see any other markings.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
I dont see the wire but if you have a 12 volt meter you can turn it on at the transformer and where the bulb plugs in
You push in the meter and test for power, or if you have another light that is working pull the bulb out of that one and see if it is working.
Those bulbs are usually 10 watts some times 20 w,
What you don't want to do is go over the limit of your transformer.
Example if you have a 300 w transformer and 30 lights on it at 10 watts that is 300 w and will be hard on your transformer.
They also say it is better to go under so if you have a 300 w transformer only use 250 w longer life for the transformer and the bulbs.

Ruben

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
since it is led make sure you use leb bulb because transformer will only support led .It should be a pin end bulb most times .I had a set but hubby can't take lights that shine up because of eye surgery

Ask a Question