How to seal a hole in the pond..............help needed

Reaction score
Hello,
After emptying my pond that had been filled with compost (dont ask why, head in hands) i am faced with 4/5 small holes 1" square that need patching.
This pond has been constructed by digging a none discript hole, then laying a flexible lining sheet on the top, cutting to shape and filling with water.
As these holes are more than 3/4 of the way down, I have half a mind to fill the pond(or let it fill) and hope that it seals its self with the weight of water. However in the back of my mind, this idealistic approach will be doomed to fail and i will be topping up with monotonus regularity.
Please could you flood (see what i did there) this thread with ideas, advice or actual examples of how others have plugged holes successfully in flexi liners.
Findlay :goldfish:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the Forum
i read your other post also
Not knowing the old liners mat or age is a problem
have you thought about laying a new one on top of the old
It sounds like a 20'x15' might do ya 20 x 20 for sure

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
If you life in Norwich uk then go on the net and buy some Gold it is the only sealer that repairs and seals in water,
Clear the area where the leak is of any algae and attatch a piece of liner to it using the gold pond sealant see link :-

http://www.thepondoutlet.com/home/t..._pond_aquarium_sealer_by_hutton_aquatic_.html

It's a fix but with that many leaks you more than probably have a cheap liner or one that has passed its useful life and as such are throwing good money after bad I'm affraid

rgrds

Dave

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok I too read your other post and if you have holes I'd really think about getting a new liner cuz you are in for big problems if the seals don't work. If you try to seal all those holes and you think it has worked, you better hope it really did otherwise you will get everything all fixed the way you want it w/ fish,rocks and plants etc. and then whamo it starts leaking....................oh Alka Seltzer headache coming on big time :goodnight:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
jw just read the other post no wonder there are so many holes finstella please read my other post but keep this in mind for future reference

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
There are such things as seaming tape, made to join pond liners which makes an effective patch for punctures

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
There are such things as seaming tape, made to join pond liners which makes an effective patch for punctures
Not sure its worth patching up sometimes its better to start again, remember finsella has just moved into the house as such doesnt know the age of it .
Most liners have a life of around 20 years, its quite possible that its been in the ground for that amount of time perhaps maybe longer.
I'd think to be on the safe side scrapping it would be the best option, then use the ponds foot print to put the new liner in then bingo instant pond good for another 20 years.

rgrds

Dave

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey and look around your town for a roofing company. The rubber is the same as the pond stuff and sometimes you can get good deals on some leftover sizes. Just rinse it off good w/ a hose and it's good to go. I've had mine for over 10yrs now and it's doing great!

Reaction score
Get some aqua seal or pond silicon sealent, slap a bit of sealent on a bit of liber each side of the hole, leave it 24 hours then refill.

Reaction score
Hello all.
Thank you very much for your replies......i think it will be best and easiest in the long run to lay another on top. excellent advice.......and of course kills 2 birds with one stone.
thanks all.....happy ponding.
Finstella

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Finstella said:
Hello all.
Thank you very much for your replies......i think it will be best and easiest in the long run to lay another on top. excellent advice.......and of course kills 2 birds with one stone.
thanks all.....happy ponding.
Finstella
Make sure you poke a lot of holes in the bottom of the old liner, so any water that gets between the two liners will drain out. Make good slices etc. OW water might build up between the two liners and push your good liner up

Ask a Question