How To Ship Lily's. Help..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm fixing to split my Lilies and a friend of mine wants me to ship some of them to him.

How in the heck can I safely ship one or two to him?

I'll be shipping the tubaler with the pads attached. Do I just place everything in a large zip lock bag with some pond water in it? Maybe wrap the tubaler in a few paper towels to keep it wet. I'll be shipping priority mail.

Do I need to cut the flowers off before shipping? Was just wondering as I see some sellers on eBay do that. Was wondering why?

Any helpful tips would be appreciated.

Phil

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Cut the tuber to the size you want it leave a bunch of roots if you can, you can trim off the flowers, they will just die. You can also ship with pads or trim some.

I just put them into a plastic garbage bag kitchen size, with a wet paper towel. If shipping with leaves sort of lay them in a circle, some will die but the tuber will do fine, it will regrow without issue.

Make sure you seal the bag well that bit of water will sneak out. I tie a tight knot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Cut the tuber to the size you want it leave a bunch of roots if you can, you can trim off the flowers, they will just die. You can also ship with pads or trim some.

I just put them into a plastic garbage bag kitchen size, with a wet paper towel. If shipping with leaves sort of lay them in a circle, some will die but the tuber will do fine, it will regrow without issue.

Make sure you seal the bag well that bit of water will sneak out. I tie a tight knot.

Thank you for your help. If I ever get around to splitting them I will take your advice.

Thanks

Phil

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can use a bubble envelope .I had plants shipped to me in them .Wrapped in paper towels in a plastic zip lock bag and bags can be bought at most dollar stores .The envelopes are lined with bubble wrap type stuff .I got fairy moss in mine and they were fine .My cousin sent me some .envelopes were bought at the dollar store and they made it here from California .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good idea Sissy probably cheaper also. I need to check the price of padded envelopes with the po.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know my son buys the good ones by thousands for his business .He is fussy how things are shipped

Ask a Question