How to start a new pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello I'm new to the pond world I rent a house with a large back yard and want a pond but I don't want to dig any holes since this isn't my house can I do a raised pond or do I still need to dig in the ground or can I get a preformed pond and put rocks around it also can I still put koi fish if it's above ground

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Keeping koi properly requires at least 1000 gallons. Making an above ground pond of that size is a fair amount of work and wouldn't be cheap. Keep in mind that above ground ponds tend to freeze solid if winters are cold.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Keeping koi properly requires at least 1000 gallons. Making an above ground pond of that size is a fair amount of work and wouldn't be cheap. Keep in mind that above ground ponds tend to freeze solid if winters are cold.
Wow okay thanks so I should go for some gold fish to start until I get the hang of things

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow okay thanks so I should go for some gold fish to start until I get the hang of things
Get "poor" mans koi, shubukins, I love them they are, to me, as pretty as koi. But stay smaller and are not as fussy about their water as koi are.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was going to be a smartie and say "step one - dig a hole"... but then I read your post! ;)

Actually, for anyone thinking of building a new pond the best starting place is to read, read, and read some more! So you're in the right place!

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Get "poor" mans koi, shubukins, I love them they are, to me, as pretty as koi. But stay smaller and are not as fussy about their water as koi are.
It's never been my experience that koi are particular about there water. They are after all just a carp and carp can be found is some of the most fetid water on earth.the problem arrives because they produce so much waste and can pollute a small body of water rather quickly. If you have an equal amount of shubs or any other goldfish to an equal amount of koi it would pollute just as quickly.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay as I read I'm thinking about starting off with gold fish and turtles they seem much easier then koi

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could do an above ground pond easily if you design it right. Easiest would be a rectangular shape with the water fall at one end and the pump at the other. You could make it out of Block or lumber. If you choose block you could use stone tiles on the outside with a cap stone on top. I recommend lining the inside walls with styro-board. This should keep the water temperature well enough for the winter. Maybe even make a removable Lid for the winter that covers around 3/4 of it, leave the other part open. Keep an aerator in there also. It would basically be a fish tank outside, but it would be AWESOME!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I would definitely recommend goldfish. My pond is less than 1000 gallons and for me goldfish are the best choice for that size pond. Turtles can produce a lot of waste so they may not be the best choice until you have more experience with your pond. I would suggest to just start with a few small fish and see how it goes. It will take a few months for the water to "cycle" before you can add any more. When it cycles the algae will clear up naturally and all waste from the fish will be converted to inert matter that plants will utilize. There is no reason to ever need to add chemicals if you do things correctly. Once it cycles you can add a few more fish. There is a lot you can read here on GPF on starting a new pond. Good luck!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Okay as I read I'm thinking about starting off with gold fish and turtles they seem much easier then koi
If you like the look of koi, pick up some shubunkins, they have great colors, called the poor man's koi. They can handle a smaller body of water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
I built my raised pond with 4x4s from lowes. Ordered all the material online and it came right to my front door (except the liner). I used 12' & 8' posts so I didn't have to cut anything. Used contact cement and 6" lag bolts to hold everything together and it hasn't moved or bowed at at all. Theres frogs, turtles, koi and goldfish in there and the water is crystal clear.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and I love that you want a pond even as a renter .I have 2 of those fantails they grow very slow and can be very friendly .I call them butt wigglers :)

Reaction score
As Smaug mentioned anything above ground will freeze. So depending on where you live you could run into a problem. If you plan on having fish then the pond can not freeze solid.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Goldfish raised 300 gallon pond is good. You'll be able to keep 20 goldfish in it and be happy. The rubbermaid 300 gallons are nice too and not that expensive. You'll have to bring in the fish inside for the winter since it's a raised pond, or you can keep a water heater outside and cover the pond.

If you have the space in a basement, you can even keep it in a basement.

You can toss some golden dojo loaches in there if you want some fish variety.

Ask a Question