How to stop rocks from sliding into steep sided small pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
0922201039.jpg
Pictured is my very small 6 foot circular pond lined with river rock. It is a very shallow depth of approximately 12 inches at its deepest and when full of water. The size and depth is not too bad for my Rosy Red minnows, although we all want bigger , but that is not going to happen.

About 3 or 4 nights ago, something got into the pond and moved rocks and things around. Rocks had slid down into the bottom of the pond making it even more shallow than normal and exposing the liner around parts of the outer edge. I don't know what it was, other than guessing a raccoon (?), although I've never seen one around here.

Anyway, this morning I re-sorted some of the rocks, etc to what it is in the picture. I did not see any of the adult Rosy's that I had. Would a raccoon, or whatever, eat something that small (2-3 inches)?

Anyway, to get to the heart of my post. What kind of suggestions do you have to stabilize the river rock to keep it from so easily sliding into the pond? Some type of glue, foam, or ?? I don't have much room on the sides to play with and the rocks slide real easily as there is no dirt or anything in the pond too squash then into.

Any suggestions?
Thx

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I mean you could do some waterfall foam, it is not particularly strong, but I have seen it used. I am sure others will tell you that it is the worst possible thing you could do, and they may be right, but it is not super permanant ( mortar) and pretty easy to put in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’d suggest setting up an aquarium and moving the fish into that for a period of time if you go mortar route. Then you can rinse, drain, rinse and let sit, drain, and test the water until it reads normal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
This might be a stupid idea, but I wonder if you can use the nylon pond netting stretched tightly over the rocks. It can be anchored by placing rocks on top of it randomly, on the very bottom and on the ground above. Might be a dumb idea, but it's the first thing that came to mind.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Mine may be even dumber... re-dig the pond so the sides aren't so steep. In your case, I think I would just have rocks on the shelf and bare liner in the pond. In the long run your pond would be bigger, which is a plus for your fish. And you'd eliminate the too steep slope.

Here's my other suggestion, which starts with a critique: Essentially you dug your pond wrong - sorry, if that sounds harsh... not trying to be, just trying to help. But your sides are steeply sloped because you dug them that way and the only way to fix that is to dig it again. Bigger rocks would HELP, which is my second suggestion, but they would still be sitting on a slope. They'd be harder to move, but you still need them to be stable.

Your pond walls, when dug correctly, should be inclined SLIGHTLY backward, just enough so your rocks can be leaned backwards for some support. Small rocks like you are using are never going to be easy to make stable. You can do it, but it's way easier with larger boulders.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yes, I agree, larger rocks would be much more stable.

You could pull back the liner and create narrow shelves, lay the liner back down and sit your rocks on the shelves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I used a combination of in the steep spots a ledge to keep the stones in place, or in the less steep spots I glued the stones in place with either liquid nails, or NP1. I prefer NP1.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thx, for the suggestions. I went out last night with a flashlight and did catch glimpses of 4 adult fish. So, that is good news :>). I thought they might have been eaten.
I'm getting ready to leave for three weeks, so, I will think about what I might want to try.
Again, thx for the suggestions.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I went out this morning and checked the pond. Something (raccoon?) had gotten into it again over night. Some of the rocks were moved again, although not as bad as before, but pieces of my hornwort I had growing in it, I found out of the water on some of the rocks and the pavers that are next to the pond.
Well, I'm leaving for 3 weeks today so, I will have to wait to try anything.:rolleyes:.

But, the good news, reason I'm away for awhile is to visit my 5 yr old granddaughter in Alexandria:giggle:.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sounds like you have a racoon problem! They are hard to keep out of a pond. We caught 4 here this year but have never had any issues with them bothering the ponds or fish. Not sure if the neighbor cleaning out their garden had anything to do with why they were suddenly in our yard!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think you're right. That's all I can think of at the moment. Right now all I have in the pond are a few (20-30?) small baby fish (some starting to get some size), and if they are still alive after last night, anywhere from 4 to 7 or 8 adult rosy red minnows 2-3 inches long (I saw four a couple of nights ago).

So, in the last month or so, I have had a snake (garter?) and a raccoon (?) suddenly show up.

I've never had any concern before, so I'll just sort of wait and see what nature does, although I will help out when I can. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This might be a stupid idea, but I wonder if you can use the nylon pond netting stretched tightly over the rocks. It can be anchored by placing rocks on top of it randomly, on the very bottom and on the ground above. Might be a dumb idea, but it's the first thing that came to mind.
Your thinking out side the box thats exactly how bogs started so its not a stupid question " I just want some of what your smoking" jk...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
your pond is on the small side. I would take up almost all the river rock and pull the liner back and re dig your shelves. Do it right

Ask a Question