How to trim plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This is my first planted tank. The plants, I think it's Green Myrio, is growing like crazy. Filling the whole tank. I know people say they trim their plants, but how? Do you get in there with scissors? Around the fish?

clear1x1.gif

Reaction score
Yep!

The fish won't mind as long as you don't disturb the sediment in the pond too much. Bring along some fish treats (food) to occupy them while you go about the trimming duties. They will either stay on the other side of the pond or they will come watch you work. Either way, you won't hurt them if you are quiet about your trimming details and don't mess up their home.
\
Gordy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Sunshine, here's a video on stem plant trimming and replanting. (In a really small tank)
Don't worry about the fish, like Gordy says.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you have to get in the pond checked before you get out ,you sure don't want fish dropping at your feet .I trim the roots more that the plants because the roots can take over the pond .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hey you never know I have seen some pretty big fish tanks lately .There is a bar and eatery in Danville that the guy has to get scuba gear on and go in to work on the plants and stuff .I was there 4 years ago for my sisters anniversary party and it was amazing .I would not sit near it I did not want to drown if it broke . :cheerful: He has pics in the place of the giant one he has at home and his pond in front of the house .My sisters husband delivers his mail to him and told me he has a huge pond in the front yard and that the pics do not do it justice .I keep telling him to get me an invite to see it .Hold his mail hostage or something .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
With this weather we are having, that warm water would feel really good. This is a pic of my jungle. I just keep having visions of fish getting sliced and diced.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Wow sunshine that is growing like crazy. Bet your fishies are happy. I'd love to have a planted tank.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So ... do you think getting in there with scissors will be okay? I don't know if these fish will swim away from them or not. Kind of hard to see amongst the jungle ..

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I kept planted tanks for years, and always used my thumbnail and index finger to pinch back any overly exuberant plants. No fish were ever decapitated in the process! :fingersx:
John

Reaction score
Sunshine said:
With this weather we are having, that warm water would feel really good. This is a pic of my jungle. I just keep having visions of fish getting sliced and diced.

Holy catfish Sunshine!

I thought you meant a "pond"! Your plants are amazing! They are certainly healthy!

I suppose you do need to trim them back to keep them from overrunning your tank. Don't fret, the fish will get out of your way and you won't snip them in two. Just go ahead with the recommended trimming method for those plants and everything will be fine. The fish might be inquisitive, but they should generally stay clear of your snips. You can always use a small fish net to keep them at bay if you feel they might get too close. It would also be wise to use a short nose scissors for your pruning and trimming, so that you are only cutting the part of the plant that you desire and nothing else.

Gordy

Ask a Question