How to waterproof porous rocks/stone for a waterfall

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a smallish backyard pond - approx 10x14x4 w/a 3' flat bottom and a 15" shelf on one side for plants. Everytime I try to create a waterfall, no matter what I do, the water seeps thru the stone and empties the pond [ rather quickly, too!] Besides epoxy, is there an inexpensive effective way/product I can use to seal the rocks? I need the product to be safe for the fish and plants! Thanks~!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
there are several products
fiberglass
epoxy
caulking the cracks

but it is probably the hardest and most challenging

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm a little confused - are you lining this waterfall with EPDM... or just running water over the rocks and hoping it makes it to the pond? There's no way rocks would continue to absorb that much water in my opinion. Something else going on here...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
The waterfall needs to be properly lined like the pond to ensure the water goes back into it. I have been watching YouTube videos of all kinds of neat techniques to make the water go where you want it. There are all sorts of cool ways to use foam and bib liners for maximum effect!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm a little confused - are you lining this waterfall with EPDM... or just running water over the rocks and hoping it makes it to the pond? There's no way rocks would continue to absorb that much water in my opinion. Something else going on here...
That all depends on the type of rock like pumice or coral. But the usual problem is the fissures or cracks in the rock . And unless your lucky enough to have a clear overhang where every drop of water falls into a pond sealing a rock or to a rock is a chalange

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1654097178918.gif
@Eugenia

Ask a Question