how would you link three finishing barrels together?

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
HI

I GOT THREE 100LTS SLIMLINE WATER BARRELS AND WONDERED WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST WAY TO LINK THEM TOGETHER.
I WISH TO ADD A FINISHING FILTER TO TRAP ANY FINES THAT GOT THROUGH SIEVE AND SHOWER UNIT BEFORE THE RETURNING TO MAIN POND.
WOULD YOU HAVE THEM INLINE BY THIS LINKED ONE TO THE OTHER...........STRAGGERED SO ONE FLOWS INTO THE OTHER.
SO LETS SEE FORUM MEMBERS IDEAS ON THIS MATTER... :LOL:
DONT BE SHY

WHISKEY

Reaction score
In parallel.

I assume 100LTS means 100 liters? Normally how filters are configured depends on the media and amount of water going thru them. But 100 liters is so tiny I can't think of any kind of normal pond type flow or media that would be OK connected in series. But I'm just guessing at the flow and media you want to have.

whiskey

Reaction score
barrels are ....H 96CM....W 29CM....D 36CM..not big bulky tubs but space saver barrels.

either i use them singlely with loads of pads and wool filter pads on top, but my main concern with padding is cleaning, at least with stone/shingle a back wash a few times the system up and running again quickly....
where as pads....do you clean once a day or once a week?.
how long can you leave a skippy style filter before cleaning is required?
as you know ive been given three barrels and this thread is to find out the best way to set up a finishing filter....just to get rid of any fine particles before returning to pond.
i have a bio filter and a shower unit over alfrogrog sorted..........just would like to use these barrels somewhere in system.

Reaction score
How often to clean is impossible to predict. Could be hours, could be weeks in between cleaning. Depends what the pond is going thru on any given day. Decaying string algae, or really any macro algae, can be a lot to handle. If these are after the showers I don't think big stuff would get thru. I thought you had a sieve too? That would stop a lot.

I've never used wool pads, but have used synthetic fabric. Couldn't move very much water thru fabric and have it catch stuff. I was at around 150 GPH thru each filter.

Have you considered a sand & gravel filter? I've never used one but Koi keepers seem to like them. Those size barrels would probably work.

whiskey

Reaction score
yes do have sieve, but working on a new one, which will be much better than the one im using now.

to give you a clue......see mr1 superb on you tube...like the concept of design...space saver plus reverse flow in the handle type flow feed a great idea

yes i feel your right on the shingle in filter, use`to have a 9ft side chamber on an old pond, work very well

Reaction score
Yes, I'd seen Mr1SUPERB's fiter and earlier filters. I really like people designing new filters and kind of hate to trash them, especially when I haven't actually built and tried them, but this filter looks problematic. But it will be good to see you try it out. Not like it costs a lot to make.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Very well built indeed , waterbug quit rightly ( giving you extra options) raised the question of a sandfilter all the people I know who had them made for their ponds reported they were a pain in the butt so to speak and not worth using .
have you a vortex on the pond ?
By the way I love the design of your sieve can you tell me please are those natural sponges that your using to catch anthing the sieve misses ?

rgrds

Dave

whiskey

Reaction score
hi dave54

my present sieve made from a 50 gallon water system tank off ebay also bio filter and showerall made from tanks, but will be making one like the above video out of a 210 gallon drum for height reasons.

do not like sand filters nothing but trouble and stink to high heaven.

as to sieve i lay wool wadding in tray to take out fines.

Attachments

• DSC01444.JPG
    DSC01444.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 283
  • DSC01106.JPG
    DSC01106.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 269
  • DSC01119.JPG
    DSC01119.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC01108.JPG
    DSC01108.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 275
  • DSC01128.JPG
    DSC01128.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 256
  • DSC01113.JPG
    DSC01113.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 251

whiskey

Reaction score
got the three barrels today...started by cutting it just below first recess, now file, round lip flat, now have a lid.

cut up old basket to fit in bottom, rested it on three bricks, cut hole in top lid, get a tee add two short lenghts of pipe then add two converted 90* elbows, and attach to main down pipe, place on bricks ,cover with basket cover and cutout return outlet, ready for media and connection.

Attachments

• DSC01546.JPG
    DSC01546.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 308
  • DSC01548.JPG
    DSC01548.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 288
  • DSC01549.JPG
    DSC01549.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC01550.JPG
    DSC01550.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 273
  • DSC01551.JPG
    DSC01551.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 322
  • DSC01552.JPG
    DSC01552.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 276
  • DSC01553.JPG
    DSC01553.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 299

whiskey

Reaction score
Going to use them on there own ....one for bio, the other for shower....both end of line....filled with scouring pads top of with wool sheet, which i can clean out as needed without distubing rest of barrel.
As to the third [spare] at this point in time.

Ask a Question