Howdy

Reaction score
Hi everyone. A little about myself. I live in the Catskill mountains of Upstate New York. I sort of stumbled into pond gardening. I moved into my current property (a rental) three years ago which has a private spring fed natural pond (though re-lined with clay). The pond being one of the main reasons I took the place. The pond was already lightly stocked with small native fish, frogs, tadpoles, a lone mean snapping turtle and a couple of water snakes. A perfect little eco-system. But no Koi. I went to the Pet store and bought several Koi and have been hooked ever since. It has been a pleasure and frustrating ever since as I learned as I went. Between Herons, Minks, raccoons, ulcers, dropping water tables and a constant un-ending battle with moles who tunnel under the water line causing the pond to drain to a glorified puddle (heartbreaking in Winter when there is not much I can do) I take a very hands off let nature take its course approach. Sadly, only one of my original Koi (Big Boy) survives to this day. The rest are replacements. Nobody understands how attached I am to these fish and how I can spend hours just watching them. I am glad to have found some like minded people. Now I must put on my hip boots and go do battle once again with those evil, evil moles!!:)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomefrogcar.gif
BaronOrlock

I know how you feel about your fish. Mine are precious to me and when I lose one I grieve and when babies are hatched I rejoice.........cycle of life

sparklers.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds really nice, love a spring fed pond. Maybe a liner would help keep the pond full of water, it would cost some $$ but might stop some of your problems.

welcome-1-1-1.gif

Reaction score
addy1 said:
Sounds really nice, love a spring fed pond. Maybe a liner would help keep the pond full of water, it would cost some $$ but might stop some of your problems.

welcome-1-1-1.gif

I have tried a poor mans liner along where the moles burrow through with plastic sheeting but it does no good. The only thing I have found to work is shoving plastic garbage bags into the holes and then covering it up with a heavy flat rock. But they always find a way around. Little Devils! Besides it is not my property so spending the money a lot of $$ is out of the question. And the landlady simpy doesn't care.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and the only mole repellant I found that works here is the ultra sonic one .I have been useing it for about 5 years now .I stared with 1 then bought 4 more when I saw they worked .They are little destroyers and were killing my trees .I used milky spore to get rid of the grubs that were bringing them to my property and the the ultra sonic things lowes sells ,so far so good

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What is milky spore? sissy, something you can get at home depot?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh it's in a blue container that is round with a metal lid and it is sold mostly at lowes about 30 dollars but you only go around putting a dot of it in the ground just before it rains .It kills all kinds of slugs and bugs

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks, I have been using some stuff that is supposed to make the ground not taste good to the moles.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
This stuff goes down in the ground and makes the slugs shrivel up and die and then the moles have nothing to feed them

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is in the garden center you use so little because it spreads fast on it's own .1 container did 3 acres here

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If it kills all the bugs it doesn't sound very good to me cuz it kills good and bad bugs and prolly all the worms too and then everything is outta whack :)

4th4.gif

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah I was wondering about that, figured I would read the label, don't really like to kill anything or use any type of insecticide. The stuff i use puts a flavor to the soil they are not supposed to like.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is selective to soft bodied bugs like slugs .If you look it up online it also gets rid of japenese beetle larvae

Ask a Question