How's the drought situation in you area?

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
In Reno it's always a drought! But we had quite a few showers up until the end of July, nothing since. Been told to cut back 10% on my water usage, July I saved 25%! But in August I was actually 4% over, I guess it equals out.
That being said, why do they continue to build new homes and apartment complexes if there's not enough for the existing residents? I've been here since '69 and tho it may not be fact, I feel entitled to water, more so than the guy who hasn't even moved her yet. I've had my landscape for 22yrs and they want me to toss it cuz were having bad year? You may have heard Tesla is coming too us, 6-7 thousand jobs expected to bring another 12k residents, all thirsty. Another thing is we live in a relatively small valley, in winter we'll get 'inversions' that can last for weeks, trapping the bad air in the valley and spurring 'red burn codes'. It's horrid I tell you. I'm not against growth or change but just look at the fact's this valley is bustin at the seams!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We are usually in a drought but this year NO .By the middle of July my grass is usually dry and crunchy .We have not had much rain but we have had high humidity and cooler nights with heavy dew .We are in the mid 90's during the day and then it drops off to 60's at night .The banana plants love this weather .I have well water but I am careful with it because wells are not cheap to drill and mine is just over 400 ft in the ground .I capture water in underground tanks and also rain barrels and that is used for gardens and plants .I have been getting lots of mushrooms growing

Attachments

• pond leak or  plants 034.JPG
    pond leak or plants 034.JPG
    240.6 KB · Views: 204
  • pond leak or  plants 012.JPG
    pond leak or plants 012.JPG
    295.6 KB · Views: 213
  • video of flyer and pond 072.JPG
    video of flyer and pond 072.JPG
    297.4 KB · Views: 250
  • video of flyer and pond 074.JPG
    video of flyer and pond 074.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 221
  • lotus seed pond and property and eggplant  2015 057.JPG
    lotus seed pond and property and eggplant 2015 057.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 197

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
The people who have well's are going deeper. Co-worker told me an extra 150' on a property they've been on for years.

Another thing is, there's several homes for sale in my immediate neighborhood why build more??

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
We are usually in a drought but this year NO .By the middle of July my grass is usually dry and crunchy .We have not had much rain but we have had high humidity and cooler nights with heavy dew .We are in the mid 90's during the day and then it drops off to 60's at night .The banana plants love this weather .I have well water but I am careful with it because wells are not cheap to drill and mine is just over 400 ft in the ground .I capture water in underground tanks and also rain barrels and that is used for gardens and plants .I have been getting lots of mushrooms growing
Those are some BIG mushrooms! Your temps are very similar to what we've had all through August but our humidity is usually less than 30% with some decent desert winds. Grass is by far the hardest thing to sustain around here however, when we get guests from California they always comment on how nice my lawn looks.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We have so many houses for sale here that prices have dipped again .You can get a house here for under 30 thousand and foreclosures and bank owned have gone up .2 houses on my street are preforeclosure and 3 have been up for sale for over 4 years now and afraid they have not admitted to them selves that they are not going to get what they paid for them .Lots of land for sale here .My taxes right now went down as discount took effect for over 62 of age and house is more than 10 years old (11 years old now ) so taxes went down to 910 dollars a year from one thousand and fifteen dollars a year on 3 acres .Great place to retire but not for jobs .Here right now to drill a well you have to get a driller from nearby NC as all the ones here got older and don't do it any more and cost went up to 15 thousand .Mine was around 3thousand dollars .I did have to pull the pump up and put new pump on it after other one burned out and had to replace the 20 gallon pressure tank with a 44 gallon one as the other one made to pump work harder and 20 gallon tank was for a well up to 200 ft and not deeper( well drillers boo boo ) .1 hp pump .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We went from being very wet in June to dry dry dry, all the grass is dead, which is fine, no mowing.

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
We have so many houses for sale here that prices have dipped again .You can get a house here for under 30 thousand and foreclosures and bank owned have gone up .2 houses on my street are preforeclosure and 3 have been up for sale for over 4 years now and afraid they have not admitted to them selves that they are not going to get what they paid for them .Lots of land for sale here .My taxes right now went down as discount took effect for over 62 of age and house is more than 10 years old (11 years old now ) so taxes went down to 910 dollars a year from one thousand and fifteen dollars a year on 3 acres .Great place to retire but not for jobs .Here right now to drill a well you have to get a driller from nearby NC as all the ones here got older and don't do it any more and cost went up to 15 thousand .Mine was around 3thousand dollars .I did have to pull the pump up and put new pump on it after other one burned out and had to replace the 20 gallon pressure tank with a 44 gallon one as the other one made to pump work harder and 20 gallon tank was for a well up to 200 ft and not deeper( well drillers boo boo ) .1 hp pump .
1550$ was tax bill this year. The homes around hear are still way overpriced. I would never pay what their asking now. More than twice what I paid! I guess that's why there's so many existing homes for sale, they don't offer any move in incentives.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
When I retired from NJ my taxes there were 11 thousand a year on less than an acre but more jobs up there .Cheaper to live here and weather is better .I still want some snow and change of season .Plus the crime is less here and I just love my view .oh by the way addy you reminded me I had to mow .Got the front and part of 1 side .It never ends :);)

Ask a Question